Search the forum,

Discuss Grout Staining in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mark69

Hi Guys hope you can help
I was called to have a look at a bathroom today where the grout keeps staining an orange / pink colour. I think the stain is being pulled back into the grout from the wall behind the tiles as it dry’s after they have showered. My customer is fed up with having to keep regrouting every six months to keep the grout white. Is there anything that I can do to stop this from happening?

Regards

G

GazTech

I was called to have a look at a bathroom today where the grout keeps staining an orange / pink colour. I think the stain is being pulled back into the grout from the wall behind the tiles as it dry’s after they have showered. My customer is fed up with having to keep regrouting every six months to keep the grout white. Is there anything that I can do to stop this from happening?

Regards
If this keeps happening...an epoxy resin grout would stop the contamination from behind.....it may be that the walls were not primed first thus there is no barrier for protection.......Gaz

W

White Room

Sorry Whitebeam...is it me ? but I dont understand the relevance of your post........Gaz scratches his bald head

The website explains about tiles on marine ply that if the ply gets wet will cause a fungus that will draw into the grout and make stain it an orange colour, which was the question at the top of the page. Grout staining

G

GazTech

The website explains about tiles on marine ply that if the ply gets wet will cause a fungus that will draw into the grout and make stain it an orange colour, which was the question at the top of the page. Grout staining
Sorry,gotcha..thanks mate I see now....how the hell do you combat the problem now...dont think the customer wants full re-tile just grouting to stop the staining from as you quite rightly put...what must be plywood backing.If this occurs with damp ply,then obviously the damage is more than first expected...there may be no alternative but re-tile with backer boards...do you agree ?......Gaz

W

White Room

Regards

It would be interesting to know what grout the guys using, and yes, or,:whatchutalkingabout retile

L

Leatherface

Don't know how it can be sorted out without a re-tile and tanking !!
Tel em to have a bath instead

M

mark69

Thanks for replys. It looks like I will have to suggest an epoxy grout but its not my favorite to use.

Reply to Grout Staining in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen