Currently reading:
Grout Staining

Discuss Grout Staining in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mark69

Hi Guys hope you can help
I was called to have a look at a bathroom today where the grout keeps staining an orange / pink colour. I think the stain is being pulled back into the grout from the wall behind the tiles as it dry’s after they have showered. My customer is fed up with having to keep regrouting every six months to keep the grout white. Is there anything that I can do to stop this from happening?

Regards

G

GazTech

I was called to have a look at a bathroom today where the grout keeps staining an orange / pink colour. I think the stain is being pulled back into the grout from the wall behind the tiles as it dry’s after they have showered. My customer is fed up with having to keep regrouting every six months to keep the grout white. Is there anything that I can do to stop this from happening?

Regards
If this keeps happening...an epoxy resin grout would stop the contamination from behind.....it may be that the walls were not primed first thus there is no barrier for protection.......Gaz

G

GazTech

The website explains about tiles on marine ply that if the ply gets wet will cause a fungus that will draw into the grout and make stain it an orange colour, which was the question at the top of the page. Grout staining
Sorry,gotcha..thanks mate I see now....how the hell do you combat the problem now...dont think the customer wants full re-tile just grouting to stop the staining from as you quite rightly put...what must be plywood backing.If this occurs with damp ply,then obviously the damage is more than first expected...there may be no alternative but re-tile with backer boards...do you agree ?......Gaz

W

White Room

Regards

It would be interesting to know what grout the guys using, and yes, or,:whatchutalkingabout retile

G

GazTech

this is ok to apply...not too chewy.....Gaz
BAL Easypoxy
easypoxy.jpg
Hygienic, impervious epoxide resin based ceramic tile grout specifically formulated to resist chemical attack and to provide a durable, abrasion-resistant, waterproof finish. The cured grout does not transfer taints to foodstuffs or permit the entry of bacteria or dirt and is easily maintained in a sterile condition. Also suitable as a high performance epoxy adhesive for fixing ceramic tiles, on walls, floors, and worktops in interior and exterior situations. Especially suited for use in bakeries, breweries, restaurants, dairies, kitchens, medical practices and industrial plant rooms.

BAL Easypoxy meets the requirements of BS 5980:1980 for resistance to mould growth. It also conforms to BS 5385:part 4:1992:section 9, for use in sterile conditions. The product additionally meets the requirements of “The Materials and Articles in Contact with Food Regulations 1987”, “The Food Safety (General Food Hygiene) Regulations 1995” and the EC Directive 93/43 on the Hygiene of Foodstuffs 1993. Conforms to BS EN 13888, Type R, Class G1.

C

CLAYS TILES

I was called to have a look at a bathroom today where the grout keeps staining an orange / pink colour. I think the stain is being pulled back into the grout from the wall behind the tiles as it dry’s after they have showered.

I'M not sure if its the same thing as your talking about, but my grout on bathroom wall turns a pinkish orange colour DUE TO THE WATER from the shower!:mad2:
maybe if the grout was SEALED it might not do this!
it washes off with a washing up sponge or brillo pad, try it and see if it comes off b4 you totally regrout the entire lot!

Reply to Grout Staining in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Over the years I've used the good advice that I've read on this forum but with my current project I am a bit stumped. I am renovating an ensuite, it's...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.