Search the forum,

Discuss grout or silicon in the corners? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

thevinnyofoz

I asked this very same question to atime served tiler today and he said it's up to the tiler to make a decision as it doesn't matter ! I think it does as everyone leaves a gap around the floor to allow for expansion and fill with silicone why on earth would this very science not be applied to the walls ? after all as a tiler you are responsible for preparing the substrate and maximising the life of the new install.

B

brendanbreeze

Well I think I'll start getting in the habit of using silicone on the floor and the walls.

cheers.

A

Aston

your right vinny

and your also right about it/expansion being a science rather than an opinion so that means its been proven. i can see where he's coming from about it looking more aesthetically pleasing on the eye but expansion needs remedies or theres every chance the tile installation will fail and so will you reputation mate.

just because someone tells you they are time served, dont believe all you hear?. they may have spent 4 years doing the same kind of tiling day in day out whereas on here the information is vast and backed up by some very creditable tilers and technical depts. if your getting 8/10 on here singing from the same sheet, then you know you are on the right lines...

P

Peter

Understand the science and the reason, but I suppose it comes down to real world scenarios as well. Never known a job to fail from grout being used in corners rather than silicone, but I suppose this game's all about covering your back.

D

doug boardley

I've only started siliconing corners in maybe the last ten years, i always used to grout them and never heard of any problems. Maybe 'cos I've always taped the joints has minimized the movement?

D

DHTiling

Suppose it's personal preference really - I often think silicone can ruin the neat look of corners. Would use it in flexible situations but don't see the problem with grouting the corners of the majority of plastered substrates. My own bathroom has had all corners grouted for 15 years and all are still 100%.

It is a perimeter movement joint.... so why grout..?

The excuse i have always done it does not mean it is right..

If you prefer that method then that is all well for you but please don't tell TF members to solid fill a movement joint.

It might not crack but it could still put stress on the centre of the wall and cause tiles to debond.

All walls be them stoothing or block..will and do expand and contract..and so does any surface attached to them.. the 2 move independently and thus need a perimeter joint.

Hope that explains a bit better. :thumbsup:

B

beno7777

can i just ad . what ever u decide, when you do use silicone, a good tip is to use a squirty bottle with soapy water in. spray on the silicone b4 smoothing with the finger, this leaves a good smooth finish and makes it easier. i no there are tools to help and in the past i just licked my finger. but with little practice i found this a great tip

ricmrc

TF
Reaction score
never. if the walls or floor move with expansion then the grout cracks, and the joint is no longer water tight, hence the use of silicone. colour wise, match to the colour of the floor grout and you cant go far wrong.
hope this helps

Reply to grout or silicon in the corners? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen