Discuss grout or silicon in the corners? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

doug boardley

I've only started siliconing corners in maybe the last ten years, i always used to grout them and never heard of any problems. Maybe 'cos I've always taped the joints has minimized the movement?

D

DHTiling

Suppose it's personal preference really - I often think silicone can ruin the neat look of corners. Would use it in flexible situations but don't see the problem with grouting the corners of the majority of plastered substrates. My own bathroom has had all corners grouted for 15 years and all are still 100%.

It is a perimeter movement joint.... so why grout..?

The excuse i have always done it does not mean it is right..

If you prefer that method then that is all well for you but please don't tell TF members to solid fill a movement joint.

It might not crack but it could still put stress on the centre of the wall and cause tiles to debond.

All walls be them stoothing or block..will and do expand and contract..and so does any surface attached to them.. the 2 move independently and thus need a perimeter joint.

Hope that explains a bit better. :thumbsup:

B

beno7777

can i just ad . what ever u decide, when you do use silicone, a good tip is to use a squirty bottle with soapy water in. spray on the silicone b4 smoothing with the finger, this leaves a good smooth finish and makes it easier. i no there are tools to help and in the past i just licked my finger. but with little practice i found this a great tip

ricmrc

TF
Reaction score
never. if the walls or floor move with expansion then the grout cracks, and the joint is no longer water tight, hence the use of silicone. colour wise, match to the colour of the floor grout and you cant go far wrong.
hope this helps

P

paulyoung666

how good a match is the silicone you can buy that is matched to the grout colour ?? :)

P

Peter

Might start siliconing edges a bit more in future then. Must be a local thing too, not often you'd see a bathroom in NI with siliconed edges bar possibly the shower corner.

Got a Fugi kit last week so may as well get my moneys worth out of it. :lol:

H

huckin

i grout solid courners to be honest think it looks alot nicer and have never had a problem also silcone looks awful after a few months

F

faithhealer

i grout solid courners to be honest think it looks alot nicer and have never had a problem also silcone looks awful after a few months
How many bathrooms have you re - visited? I've seen loads of bathrooms now with cracks in the corners.
On my very first paying job it was white tiles and grout, bevelled tiles so the corner wasn't straight but I siliconed the corner as taught. The Customers mother came in and said she didn't like it but I explained my reason for doing so. The actual customer loved it and have worked for her several times now.
Has to be silicon, huckin!

D

diamondtiling

There seem to be a few guys out there that want to grout a corner because they think it looks good and that silicone looks awful after six months? Silicone properly applied to a expansion joint will last for years and years. If it looks bad after a few months then the chances are it looked bad from the outset. Using a quality product and not the cheapest you can buy will give the desired finish. Applying silicone over grout in a corner is bad practice and bad standards, new guys and the tiling DIY'er could be forgiven but for a professional tiler to do this is not good enough.
I suspect that silicone is left off because some tilers cannot use it properly, the only way around that problem is to practice until you can apply it. Its only easy after experience.

:thumbsup:

F

faithhealer

There seem to be a few guys out there that want to grout a corner because they think it looks good and that silicone looks awful after six months? Silicone properly applied to a expansion joint will last for years and years. If it looks bad after a few months then the chances are it looked bad from the outset. Using a quality product and not the cheapest you can buy will give the desired finish. Applying silicone over grout in a corner is bad practice and bad standards, new guys and the tiling DIY'er could be forgiven but for a professional tiler to do this is not good enough.
I suspect that silicone is left off because some tilers cannot use it properly, the only way around that problem is to practice until you can apply it. Its only easy after experience.

:thumbsup:
Agree dom, good silicon should last and if they have a problem applying try using cornertape.

Reply to grout or silicon in the corners? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks