Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss grout or silicon in the corners? in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
On what occassions should grout be used in the corners (where 2 walls meet, from floor to ceiling) in stead of silicon?

Cheers - Brendan

OP
D

david campbell

never!
it's bad practice and over time it will crack and need replaced also allowing awater to penetrate behind the tile work causing more serious problems,use an anti bacterial/anti mould silicone always:thumbsup:

OP
B

brendanbreeze

Ok, And if the floors and walls are both tiled but different colours..say black floor white walls. Sholud I match the silicone to the floor or walls? sorry if these sound like daft questions, just trying to get it straight in my head.

OP
P

Peter

On plastered/rigid walls I always grout the edges. Looks so much neater having tight cuts and a clean uniform grout line down the corners than a dirty bead of silicone. 10x the finish imo.

OP
U

user123

There is no such thing as a daft question.. :smilewinkgrin: At the floor, as a rule, stick as closely as possible to the floor grout colour, much less obvious, and easier on the eye so to speak.

OP
U

user123

On plastered/rigid walls I always grout the edges. Looks so much neater having tight cuts and a clean uniform grout line down the corners than a dirty bead of silicone. 10x the finish imo.

But,Wingn, there is no such thing as a rigid wall, houses move all the time. A clean sharp silicone line really finishes things off nicely.

OP
P

Peter

Suppose it's personal preference really - I often think silicone can ruin the neat look of corners. Would use it in flexible situations but don't see the problem with grouting the corners of the majority of plastered substrates. My own bathroom has had all corners grouted for 15 years and all are still 100%.

Reaction score
I use silicone too, there is special silicone tool for nice silicone finish, if you do it right and neat i think looks also great :thumbsup:

OP
T

thevinnyofoz

I asked this very same question to atime served tiler today and he said it's up to the tiler to make a decision as it doesn't matter ! I think it does as everyone leaves a gap around the floor to allow for expansion and fill with silicone why on earth would this very science not be applied to the walls ? after all as a tiler you are responsible for preparing the substrate and maximising the life of the new install.

OP
B

brendanbreeze

Well I think I'll start getting in the habit of using silicone on the floor and the walls.

cheers.

OP
A

Aston

your right vinny

and your also right about it/expansion being a science rather than an opinion so that means its been proven. i can see where he's coming from about it looking more aesthetically pleasing on the eye but expansion needs remedies or theres every chance the tile installation will fail and so will you reputation mate.

just because someone tells you they are time served, dont believe all you hear?. they may have spent 4 years doing the same kind of tile day in day out whereas on here the information is vast and backed up by some very creditable tilers and technical depts. if your getting 8/10 on here singing from the same sheet, then you know you are on the right lines...

OP
P

Peter

Understand the science and the reason, but I suppose it comes down to real world scenarios as well. Never known a job to fail from grout being used in corners rather than silicone, but I suppose this game's all about covering your back.

Reply to grout or silicon in the corners? in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock