Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Grey Mapei grout gone patchy in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

DukeofYork

Hi
We recently tiled our kitchen floor with porcelain tiles. We used Mapei ultracolour grout which is supposed to be dark grey but has dried with large white patches?
Can anyone help? It looks horrendous and our new kitchen is due to be fitted in less than a fortnight :(
Thanks

D

DukeofYork

Fantastic thank you! Sorry am new to the site so didnt know how to find old threads

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The ratios of grout to water have to be spot on, and with a darker grout is not to have too wetter sponge when cleaning down.

D

DHTiling

New threads on same subject are always welcome as each job has it's own take..

I didn't see the other thread... but a number of things contribute to what you have.

This can be over wetting of the grout when washing off and also washing off to soon before allowing the grout to set up... if you leave dirty water in the grout lines that contain polymers from the grout then this will dry lighter...

A remedy for what you have is to clean the joints with a cement residue remover that will also remove polymers.. then follow the directions and clean the joints aided with a scotch pad.. this should bring the joints back up.. but and this is a but!.. this depends if the grout was mixed properly to get an even pigment distribution..

have a read of this as well... http://www.tilersforums.com/tile-ad...on/25037-mapei-ultra-colour-plus-how-use.html

D

DukeofYork

Thanks. Think they were spot on with the measurements. Suspect it is related to the cleaning

Any ideas on how to rectify it other than a regrout?

G

Gazzer

IMG_0440 [800x600].jpg IMG_0441 [800x600].jpg IMG_0458 [800x600].jpg I think it gave good results and saved a lot of time.

PS the original grout wasnt Mapei and damage was caused by flooding.

D

DukeofYork

What brand of grout colourant would you recommend?

This is how it looks. It's supposed to be dark grey (I think off the top of my head we got Medium Grey 112) but its nowhere near the sample

photo.jpg

Reply to Grey Mapei grout gone patchy in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks