Search the forum,

Discuss green chipboard floor help in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

andypar

TF
Reaction score
Hi, i have a green chipboard 22mm floor that is on joist, that are screwed to concrete and are really solid, and am going to put down 40m2 of quartz tiles. The problem i have is i don't have room to overboard or if i did maximum would be 3mm, what is the best adhesive to use please. I have sanded a test area and moisture will penetrate this area a lot better than where i have not sanded.
Thanks, Andy

J

jwatson

if you tile straight onto them boards you will have problems! 3mm ply will be useless. a sheet of paper would be more use. the minimum over boarding you will be able to use will be 6mm tile backing boards and I am sure a de-coupling membrane would also be a very useful addition to your fixing method. BAL, mappei and weber are all good adhesives each have there own names for the adhesive you require for these tiles.
your end result will only be as good as your prep work, cut corners at your peril.

andypar

TF
Reaction score
thanks for quick reply, i was worried this might be the answer, has anyone used nicobond plastic ply as this is only 3mm thick,
thanks again jwatson

D

DHTiling

You can use Ditra or Dural Ci+ Stuck down with an S2 adhesive, then tile with a suitable adhesive for resin bonded tiles.. I'e.. Mapei Granirapid or Elastorapid..are 2 good ones..

R

Rich

I would over board with 6mm tile backer board myself, if this is not an option then a decoupling membrane is a good route but you MUST make sure that the floor is 100% deflection free. Any bounce will cause the tiles to crack and lift.

andypar

TF
Reaction score
thanks for all the advice, 6mm overboard is too thick i'm afraid, i can only get away with 3mm, the floor is really solid , think Daves way may be the best option, the tiles cost a packet so i dont want to bodge it
thanks again , Andy

R

Rich

You can say thank you to the members by clicking on their little "Thanks" button at the bottom left hand side of each post.

Let us know how you get on and be sure to come on here and get all the advice you need through out the project :thumbsup:

andypar

TF
Reaction score
hi , does anyone know what would be the overall thickness using durabase ci matting to fix the quartz tiles , thanks, Andy

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Hi Andy, how thick is the quartz? CI matting is 3mm laid with 3mm/4mm notched trowel so if you allow 1mm/ 2mm under the mat, and 3mm on top for tile bed, plus the tile thickness. I must add to the above comments chip-board is bad news for tile installations:yikes: sorry:thumbsup:

andypar

TF
Reaction score
thanks Rich, i was wondering if it would have been more with fixing the matting and then the tiles, 3mm or even 5mm in total would be great so sounds ideal, thanks Andy

andypar

TF
Reaction score
thanks Phil , thats great, the tiles are 12mm , i have 20mm under the bi fold doors to the seal so will work out ideal, all the best, Andy

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Andy we have Dural as sponsers on the forum, they may be able to cut a deal. Price tends to go off volume, if you have 40m2 to do a 30m2 roll and a 10m2 roll. Give them a call. Better to get it right at the begining imo, good luck:thumbsup:

Reply to green chipboard floor help in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen