Search the forum,

Discuss green chipboard floor help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

andypar

TF
Reaction score
Hi, i have a green chipboard 22mm floor that is on joist, that are screwed to concrete and are really solid, and am going to put down 40m2 of quartz tiles. The problem i have is i don't have room to overboard or if i did maximum would be 3mm, what is the best adhesive to use please. I have sanded a test area and moisture will penetrate this area a lot better than where i have not sanded.
Thanks, Andy

J

jwatson

if you tile straight onto them boards you will have problems! 3mm ply will be useless. a sheet of paper would be more use. the minimum over boarding you will be able to use will be 6mm tile backing boards and I am sure a de-coupling membrane would also be a very useful addition to your fixing method. BAL, mappei and weber are all good adhesives each have there own names for the adhesive you require for these tiles.
your end result will only be as good as your prep work, cut corners at your peril.

andypar

TF
Reaction score
thanks for quick reply, i was worried this might be the answer, has anyone used nicobond plastic ply as this is only 3mm thick,
thanks again jwatson

D

DHTiling

You can use Ditra or Dural Ci+ Stuck down with an S2 adhesive, then tile with a suitable adhesive for resin bonded tiles.. I'e.. Mapei Granirapid or Elastorapid..are 2 good ones..

R

Rich

I would over board with 6mm tile backer board myself, if this is not an option then a decoupling membrane is a good route but you MUST make sure that the floor is 100% deflection free. Any bounce will cause the tiles to crack and lift.

andypar

TF
Reaction score
thanks for all the advice, 6mm overboard is too thick i'm afraid, i can only get away with 3mm, the floor is really solid , think Daves way may be the best option, the tiles cost a packet so i dont want to bodge it
thanks again , Andy

R

Rich

You can say thank you to the members by clicking on their little "Thanks" button at the bottom left hand side of each post.

Let us know how you get on and be sure to come on here and get all the advice you need through out the project :thumbsup:

andypar

TF
Reaction score
hi , does anyone know what would be the overall thickness using durabase ci matting to fix the quartz tiles , thanks, Andy

Reply to green chipboard floor help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen