Search the forum,

Discuss granite tiled worktops in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

dexion7

Hi guys - newbie so go easy on me please!.

i'd really like to fit start galaxy granite worktops in my kitchen but the cost is too much.

tiles are available much more cheaply than complete tops and i wonder in anyone has tried using these in a 'diy' fashion to make a worktop. 600mm square size tiles are freely available and since the two worktops i need are both straight with no edges to finish i'm considering giving this a go.

my idea is to fit them on 18mm ply and butt them so i guess it would be a case of ensuring that they are exactly square and flat. the visible edge would be stainless steel strip (to match the carcass doors) bonded with epoxy to the edge of the tiles/plywood.

any ideas or comments welcome.

D

diamondtiling

Welcome to the forums dexion, as Doug has said butting them is not the way to go. Epoxy grout for food areas.

:thumbsup:

D

doug boardley

thanks for the reply.

why not butt them, is that to ensure that any out of square can be managed easily?

does the idea sound ok in principle?
liquid and food bits will seep into joints harbouring bacteria. Can't see a problem otherwise though:thumbsup:

D

dexion7

liquid and food bits will seep into joints harbouring bacteria. Can't see a problem otherwise though:thumbsup:

when i said i was going to butt them i meant joining them by coloured epoxy with no designated gap between the tiles (usually there is 2-4mm when they are used on the floor)

the question about the viability of butting them realy centred around the liklehood of them being a) square, b) of constant thickness and c) do the tiles have a bevel on the edge.

what would be the best adhesive to stick the tiles to the ply?

thanks for the replies fellas

D

doug boardley

a single part flexible adhesive that needs to dry before you grout with epoxy. I'd be tempted to use hardiebacker 250 (6mm thick) on top of your ply too

Reaction score
hello dexion
in my opinion what you trying to do will not gonna look nice, i would save bit more money and would buy slab of polished galaxy granite, you could cut granite with grinder and finish it off with diamond pads, you can buy pads from trimline
good luck

Reply to granite tiled worktops in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. As title suggests. Used to use this forum a while back but seems my account was deleted...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen