Search the forum,

Discuss Floor tiles grout line minimum reequired size. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

lukeb

Hi Guys.
Just quoted for 20m2 of kitchen floor(polished porcelain 330x330)
Customer specify that he wants to keep grout lines to maximum 2mm.
BS require minimum 3mm spacing(I think)any suggestions appreciated.
Funny enough always use 4mm so I`m asking for Your professional opinion.
Sub floor is chipboard witch 12mm ply(it was prepared for tiling by builder???)
Will use cement bord on the top of it.

So what minimum spacing can you recomend======= ??????

:bigear:

M

Mike Mike

12mm ply does not comply with British Standards (15mm, which means 18mm because 15mm does not exist). Tile this job with 2mm or 22mm grout lines and when it all goes wrong you'll have to pay to rip it out and do it again. Walk away and tell him to get the "builder" to tile the floor for him instead...

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
If you're boarding over with hardibacker then i don't think you'll have a problem using 2mm. I've done this before as requested by customers and never and an issue. I think i used bal microflex grout.

L

lukeb

12mm ply does not comply with British Standards (15mm, which means 18mm because 15mm does not exist). Tile this job with 2mm or 22mm grout lines and when it all goes wrong you'll have to pay to rip it out and do it again. Walk away and tell him to get the "builder" to tile the floor for him instead...

As I said in the post -will use cement board over existing subfloor(chipbo`d and 12mm ply) so im not tiling directly onto 12mmp ply,am I?
So why do you think it will fail.
I`m pretty sure that most of the tilers in here will do the same maybe some will use decoupling membrane for peace of mind.

what will be your ideal method??????

G

Gall.B

Have done the Decoupling over 12mm ply thing after discussing with customer :thumbsup:

Would not be willing to go down to 2mm though especialy if the tile size's are not very regular.

Usally 3-4mm for me depending on substrate or tile.

S

steve187

3mm for me, make sure everything is well screwed down, builders never put enough screws in. and check well for any deflection.

M

Mike Mike

Sorry Lukeb, I did not spot that you said "Will use cement bord on the top of it".

M

Mike

3mm for me, make sure everything is well screwed down, builders never put enough screws in. and check well for any deflection.
steve's right but be careful screwing 'blind' if you don't know whats under the existing boards e.g. pipes or cables

D

Drastik Lee

i would deffo go with 3mm or even 4mm in my opinion not only would 2mm look slightly odd but if the tiles are not true itll make it slightly harder lining up also i would make sure the ply the builder put down was sound and use bal flexi possibly with bal sbr bond part mixed to give peace of mind :thumbsup:

Reply to Floor tiles grout line minimum reequired size. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen