Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Floor tiles debonding after UFH turned on in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

faceman

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi I've got a problem on a building site with a floor. The UFH was turned on last week and now the floor tiles have debonded. In my opinion the floor was to hot but was assured the manifold was set to low. However the wall stat read 22 degrees. I was told if the doors were kept shut the heating could work properly and settle. I removed a tile which came up with all the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ attached to reveal a damp floor and water collected in the small voids. It was like this across the floor. I'd like to point out a small area around the cupboard hadn't been done due to the plasterers using a temporary tap in there which left the cupboard damp. Unfortunately the builder had agreed on a decoupling membrane before we started and I'd forgotten this conversation. Only two rows had gone down but I was confident it would be fine as its only 27m and been down two months. We used norcross flexible adhesives and tiled it like the other thousands of floors we've done previously. Sadly I guaranteed it wouldn't fail due to a lack of decoupling membrane. Obviously it has but I'm adamant it's not for that reason. Am I wrong?

Attachments

• disaster 1.jpg
    disaster 1.jpg
    966.3 KB · Views: 63
  • disaster 2.jpg
    disaster 2.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 61

bsc ceramics

TF
Arms
Reaction score
porcolaine tiles on a sand and cement screed should be fine with no mat
thermal shock would be my guess but with out seeing it, its is just a guess

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Was the screed primed prior to tile?

OP
faceman

faceman

TF
Arms
Reaction score
did you charge him for the mat???

No, he’s asked for it at the last moment and I’d forgotten to bring it on our first day. I said at 27m it’d be fine but we agreed to mat the others. Done 8 more since. I’d guess the mat is doing a good job of saving the others. For this reason he’s saying it’s my fault. I would never have guaranteed it if I’d known about the water under the screed and he would turn the ufh so high.

OP
faceman

faceman

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Was the screed primed prior to tile?

I always prime because of the amount of plaster that gets dropped. You can see in a photo the plaster stuck to my https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/. It has gone soft from the moisture from the screed.

Attachments

• 71792324-23E0-424F-8C04-569C4F97C305.jpeg
    71792324-23E0-424F-8C04-569C4F97C305.jpeg
    907 KB · Views: 42

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Im assuming that this is an install that you have done for the builder. If so It sounds to me like you've answered your own questions here.

1. Decoupling was agreed but not supplied so thats a breach of contract.
2. You guaranteed the tiles would not fail as a result and they have failed somthats a breach of guarantee.
3. The floor was clearly wet and probably too wet to tile directly. I'm assuming no moisture test done which is a failure to observe due diligence.
4. The underfloor heating was not commissioned prior to tile which fails to meet the required standard of best practice.
5. Plaster left on the floor prior to tile shows lacking adequate preparation which is also a failure to meet the required standard if best practice.

If I were you i'd be doing everything reasonable to sort it out. Ie. Lift and replace the tiles at your cost. If it went to litigation you would not have a leg to stand on. It would not be diffucult for the builder to prove to a court that it is your fault regardless of what temperature the heating went on at.

Reaction score
You're cutting corners fella, you've been bit on the arse, and now you're looking for a way out!
There isn't one!
You've fuxxed the job, and now you're doing it againđź‘Ś

Reply to Floor tiles debonding after UFH turned on in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock