Search the forum,

Discuss Floor prep in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

A

ajc

Quick question for a general consensus please:
I'm tiling a floor soon that is 18mm tongue and groove floorboards, overlaid with 18mm floorboards!!! God only knows why this is the case. The 2 layers of boards are not perpendicular, but the joins are staggered so they are not directly above/beneath each other.
It seems absolutely rock solid (as you'd expect!) but what would people do here? Top layer is highly varnished?
Cheers

J

J Sid

take off top 18mm layer....
fix 6mm Hardie board as per fixing instructions and lay tiles to this.
should end up about the same night as the 18mm boards which you removed.
assuming the floor is bounce free.

A

ajc

it's 5m x 2.1m. Top layer is nailed, not sure about bottom layer.
Getting top layer up may be a real nightmare as stud walls are built ontop of it!

W

White Room

The floor plate of the stud wall should be either screwed or nailed into the joists, you would need to cut the overlay floor boards flush with the wall, as Julian hardie glued and screwed but I would keep the boards tight where the overlay floor boards had been cut.
Avoids any possible movement from the stud work.

A

Aston

i'd also remove the top layer of boards, then you can see the condition and whats securing the bottom layer.
if they are secure and screwed down, you can then do as suggested in the above recommendations regarding 6mm hardie, glued and screwed ensuring perimeter expansion gaps etc etc

Reply to Floor prep in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen