Search the forum,

Discuss Floor grout type, colours and advice in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

DJM

On a previous thread we were thnking about keeping the 1920's tiles we had exposed in the downstairs loo if they cleaned up ok. Now the issue is how to grout them

They look like the tiles were fixed in motar / microconcrete and that was the inter-tile medium as well. It has broken down a bit and needs replacing.

Can I rake out (assuming my Fien and diamond blade will remove the current 'grout') and use a standard grout?
Also not sure of the colour. I have plenty of Mapei white, but think it would look odd, so was considering Mapei Moon White (103). What are your thoughts looking at the picture?

IMG_4243.JPG

T

Tommythetiler80

Think I’d personally opt for a grey grout being it the toilet you know what us males are like at aiming after a couple of sherberts!! I use Tilemaster grout 3000 and I’d possibly look at the natural grey colour

D

DJM

Tommy, I know what you are saying.

The Mapei Moon white is a sort of off white so thought that would give a similar effect to grey without being so cement like. And as the room will be a white base thought it would match quite well.

That said I do quite like the greys though Ultracolour is easier to get around here than Tilemaster.

D

Dumbo

Grey definitely no lighter than 111 silver grey probably 112 . I would gonfor a colour to get close to your light tile and not lighter .

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
For me I would go 120 Negro, so you don't even notice a grout joint, steer clear of 103 on a floor, far too light

D

DJM

Personally i would think about replacing the tiles as well.
I understand your point, but they have cleaned up quite well since that photo and we like the originality of them.
And anyway if we don't like then after a while we can always cover them or change them late

D

DJM

Grey definitely no lighter than 111 silver grey probably 112 . I would gonfor a colour to get close to your light tile and not lighter .
Don't like 111 silver and not sure Manhattan 110 is much better.
Might go for Cement 113 or Anthracite 114, but worried the dark colour won't match the dark tile and or stain the light tile.

D

DJM

For me I would go 120 Negro, so you don't even notice a grout joint, steer clear of 103 on a floor, far too light
Just worried Black 120 will stain the pearl white tile and still not match the black tile so still stand out.

D

DJM

Thanks for all the advice about not going too light. Perhaps moon white 103 is not such a good idea

Reply to Floor grout type, colours and advice in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen