Discuss Fixing Porcelain and Vitrified Tiles to Internal Walls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

Fixing Porcelain and Vitrified Tiles to Internal Walls

There is an increasing trend towards fixing porcelain and vitrified tiles to walls. With differing manufacturing processes and materials, larger, thicker format tiles, complying with BS6431 are being produced. Porcelain and vitrified tiles, unlike porous bodied tiles, shrink in the firing process therefore certain allowances have to be made to dimensional accuracy in the manufacturing process.
  1. Tile Types
    Porcelain /Fully Vitrified Tiles
    Fully vitrified tiles which can either be unglazed or glazed characterised by the tile's low water absorption below 0.5% (BIa) Porcelain tiles are normally dry pressed using a body made from Kaolin clays, feldspar, silica and colouring oxides fired to around 1200 degrees.
    Vitrified and Semi-Vitrified Tiles
    Tiles, which can either be unglazed or glazed. Tiles in this category can be either dry pressed or extruded and have water absorption of between 0.5 to 3%(vitrified) Class BIb – dry pressed, and 3% to 6% (semi-vitrified), Class BIIa – dry pressed.
  2. Tolerances
    Current British & European Standards for ceramic tiles define tolerances for dimensions of tiles. These vary depending on tile type and size as shown below:
    Tolerance for porcelain tile
    (BIa) or vitrified tile (BI)Tolerance for glazed tile
    porous body (BIII) (non-lug)10x10 cm tile 1mm0.75mm20x20 cm tile 1.5mm1 mm30x30 cm tile 1.8mm1.5mm
    Tolerances are also defined for centre curvature of tiles. These too vary depending on the type and size of tile.
    Tolerance for porcelain tile
    (BIa) or vitrified tile (BI)Tolerance for glazed tile
    porous body (BIII) (non-lug)10x10 cm tile .70 mm to -.70 mm.70 mm to -.42 mm20x20 cm tile 1.40 mm to -1.40 mm1.40 mm to -.85 mm30x30 cm tile2.12 mm to -2.12 mm2.12 mm to –1.27 mm
    (Negative curvature values indicate concave tiles) The tolerances for tile fixing set down within British Standard BS5385 for tile fixing are demanding and as a result of the differences in manufacturing and fixing tolerances, special consideration has to be given to fixing vitrified tiles to walls.
  3. Tile Fixing
    Full guidance is given in British Standard, BS5385 Wall and floor tiling. The following points should be remembered:
    1. <LI type=a>Background
      • The ideal background is cement:sand rendering
      • Weight restrictions for tiling onto plaster and plasterboard are defined in BS5385:1, i.e.
      • 25 kg/m2on plasterboard, and 20 kg/m2 on plaster
      • The background to receive tiling should be fully cured, dry, clean, sound and nominally
      • flat, such that when checked using a 2m straightedge, any gap under the
      • straightedge should not exceed 3mm.
      NOTE: Larger format tiles with a surface area greater than 0.1m2 may need additional mechanical fixing when used above 3 metres. <LI type=a>Setting Out
      Vitrified and porcelain bodied tiles are often polished for aesthetic purposes. The polishing process, which involves grinding, will reduce the thickness of the tiles and possibly the overall dimensions of the tile. Therefore extra care should be taken at the design stage and during installation.
      • Tiles should not be butt jointed
      • Pressed tiles should be spaced at a minimum of 3mm
      • Extruded tiles should be spaced at a minimum of 5mm
      • Rectified or calibrated tiles should be spaced at a minimum of 2mm
    2. Fixing
      • Lighting during tile fixing should be as close to the end use as possible
      • Tolerances for surface flatness are defined in BS5385
      • In a dry area a minimum area of contact of 75% should be achieved
      • In wet areas solid bed fixing is required
    3. Adhesives and Grouts
      • Use a polymer enhanced adhesive meeting the requirements for a cementitious Class
      • C2 adhesive defined in BS EN 12004
      • Grout meeting the requirements of BS EN 13888 should be applied as defined in BS5385
..........dave..

P

Perry

Just like to say Dave nice to find this forum well done to all you guys you mention that Larger format tiles with a surface area greater than 0.1m2 may need additional mechanical fixing when used above 3 metres I often get asked to fix 60x60 above 2,4 mtrs and haven’t found any mechanical fixings for porcelain tiles any ideas regards Pete

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
NICE!

You're robbing these from some decent places mate. Keep it up! lol:8:

D

DHTiling

Just like to say Dave nice to find this forum well done to all you guys you mention that Larger format tiles with a surface area greater than 0.1m2 may need additional mechanical fixing when used above 3 metres I often get asked to fix 60x60 above 2,4 mtrs and haven’t found any mechanical fixings for porcelain tiles any ideas regards Pete

the fixings are for the substrate..say you had dot and dabbed plasterboard etc ..then screw and plug to give it extra hold........

G

GazTech

ANADIN® TABLETS

SCHEDULING STATUS:
Not scheduled

PROPRIETARY NAME
(and dosage form):

ANADIN® TABLETS

COMPOSITION:
Each tablet contains:
Aspirin 400,0 mg Caffeine Anhydrous 22,7 mg PHARMACOLOGICAL CLASSIFICATION:
A.2.8 Analgesic combinations.

PHARMACOLOGICAL ACTION:
ANADIN TABLETS have analgesic, anti-inflammatory and anti-pyretic action.

INDICATIONS:
ANADIN TABLETS are indicated for the relief of mild to moderate pain and fever.

CONTRA-INDICATIONS:
Patients with peptic ulcers, haemophilia or intolerance (hypersensitivity) to aspirin, severe renal impairment and patients receiving oral anticoagulant therapy.

WARNINGS:
Do not use continuously for more than 10 days without consulting your doctor. The use of tablets during the first and third trimester of pregnancy is not advised except under supervision of a medical doctor.

Aspirin has been implicated in Reye's Syndrome, a rare but serious illness in children and teenagers, with chicken pox and influenza. A doctor should be consulted before Aspirin is used in such patients.

DOSAGE AND DIRECTIONS FOR USE:
Adults: Two tablets to be taken with water and repeated every four hours if necessary (with a maximum dose of 10 tablets daily). Children: Under six years, consult your doctor. Over six years, one quarter to half of the adult dosage (according to age). SIDE-EFFECTS AND SPECIAL PRECAUTIONS:
Dizziness or irritation of the gastric mucosa and resultant dyspepsia, haematemesis, and melaena may occur in some cases. Some persons especially asthmatics, exhibit notable sensitivity to aspirin which may provoke various hypersensitivity reactions which may include skin eruptions, paroxysmal bronchospasm and dyspnoea.

It should be administered with caution to patients with impaired renal function, dyspepsia, anaemia and when the patient is dehydrated.

Aspirin may enhance the activity of coumarin anticoagulants and oral antidiabetic preparations and sulphonamides. Aspirin diminishes the effect of anti-gout preparations such as probenecid and sulphinpyrazone.

Barbiturates and other sedatives may mask the respiratory symptoms of aspirin overdosage and have been reported to enhance its toxicity.
Prolonged use of high doses may lead to anaemia, blood dyscrasias, gastro-intestinal haemorrhage, peptic ulceration and renal papillary necrosis.

The use of aspirin during the first and third trimester of pregnancy is not advised.

Caffeine's side-effects include nausea, headache and insomnia. Caffeine increases gastric secretions and may cause gastric ulcerations.

KNOWN SYMPTOMS OF OVERDOSAGE AND PARTICULARS OF ITS TREATMENT:
"ASPIRIN" COMPONENT:
These include dizziness, tinnitus, sweating, nausea, vomiting, mental confusion, hyperventilation, respiratory alkalosis, metabolic acidosis, ketosis and depression of the Central Nervous System.
In children, serious signs of overdosage may develop rapidly.

"CAFFEINE" COMPONENT:
Overdosage with caffeine may cause symptoms of restlessness, excitement, muscle tremor, tinnitus, scintillating scotoma, tachycardia and extra-systoles.

TREATMENT:
In cases of overdosage, consult a doctor immediately. Treatment is supportive and symptomatic.

IDENTIFICATION:
White compressed tablets with a distinctive arrow on each side.

PRESENTATION:
Available in 2's, 10's, 20's, 50's and 100's.

STORAGE INSTRUCTIONS:
Store in a cool (below 25 °C) dry place. Protect from light. Keep container tightly closed.
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

REGISTRATION NUMBER:
B/2.8/835

NAME AND BUSINESS ADDRESS OF APPLICANT:
S.A.D SELF MEDICATION [PTY] LIMITED
(Co. Reg. No. 92/04769/07)
Robbie de Lange Road, Wilsonia, EAST LONDON 5201

DATE OF PUBLICATION OF THIS PACKAGE INSERT:
July 1981

®REGISTERED TRADEMARK.hope that helped...lol

Last edited by a moderator:
L

len

kids and cats are looking at me as if ive gone nuts....cant stop laughing. Hey migraine is clearing,must be the laughter, that Anadin sure is effective:thumbsup:

P

Perry

Nice one Gaz they helped my hangover this morning but did nothing for my technical headache but just as good as the answer bal
----
sorry Gaz missed the from must be an overdose
----
Dave I am ok with that end of the fixing it’s how you fix them to the tile and where does one obtain these fixings’ if any one produces them (forgive my sense of humour I think I have been doing this to long my trowel maybe wearing out) regards Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Tecnik2000

Hi Guy's I am aware of a large plastic washer type fixing available where you drill a 8mm hole & hammer fix the washer in to place as it has an expanding centre core, used for mechanical dry lining,with out the dabs...Regards Nigel

D

DHTiling

Wedi fixings...

Forgot all about this old old thread.. you have been digging deep..:lol:

Reply to Fixing Porcelain and Vitrified Tiles to Internal Walls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay