Currently reading:
First tiling job after my course with UKPTT

Discuss First tiling job after my course with UKPTT in the Tiling Courses area at TilersForums.com.

James De

TF
Esteemed
London
Hi guys,

I'm currently on my first job after finishing the 9 day course with UK Pro Tiling Training, which I must add was absolutely brilliant!!!

So after removing the 7m2 area of mosaic tiles the plaster behind the tiles just crumbled off the wall due to previous leaks.

2 - https://ibb.co/kmLu5K
[picture of wall/plaster]

2.jpg

I'm thinking of dot n dabbing some Knauff Aquaboard to the brick walls. Can anyone tell me if there is a better idea?

I'm only boarding the area where I'm tiling (on both walls the bath/shower is against). Thing is, the good plaster which I'm leaving on the walls is an inch thick - hence the dot n dab so the boards meet the good plaster flush.

Many thanks
James

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Time's Ran Out

View attachment 100561
It’s not too bad.. to be honest it’s like trying to polish a turd in this bathroom! It’s not a perfect job mate, but it’s my first.
I’ve made a schoolboy error of starting with a full tile in the corner though :confused: idiot!!!! Won’t make that mistake again!
Thing is though the wall is a bit pissed so as it goes up from the bath I’m now having to cut in 10mm slithers of tile :mad:
Horizontal datum to mark the heights of all obstructions to see where I want to start tiling (vertically). I put my level on the wall and it looks ok, I think I’ve just messed up my my brick formation but will double check tomorrow.. either way I can’t do mymuch about it now other than learn from the experience :eek:
My own bathroom? No. Why do you ask?

I ask because I think it’s morally unacceptable to charge for work that you clearly have no experience in doing!

W

Waluigi

Bit harsh IMHO. The job won’t be perfect by any means but for a start, it’s been tanked. How many thousands of tilers around the country slap tiles onto bare plasterboard day in day out in wet areas? Should they be charging for their work or is that unacceptable?!

I do take your point though, Timeless John but think your knock back will do nothing but make the OP more determined to seek advice and improve exponentially

T

Time's Ran Out

We all have opinions.
Harsh ! - Some homeowner will have to live with this, will have paid hard earned money for a poor finish and this will reflect on our trade.
Read the threads from unhappy members seeking advice on work they’ve had done by ‘tilers’ and reply to them in a positive manner.
I’ve said it before and I said it above - IMHO it’s morally unacceptable to charge for work you have no experience in doing!
If we are to be taken seriously as a trade you must learn the skills to provide a professional job.

W

Waluigi

The guy has started a job where the render fell off to the brick, had to get the bath out of situ and has had to board a crappy wall out, get it as flat as he can, tank the wall and start tiling and your contribution to the thread is that it’s morally unacceptable to be charging for the work?

I do take your point and have said so twice now. Maybe it’s time to consider my point. I think you already have. :) goodnight.

James De

TF
Esteemed
London
I ask because I think it’s morally unacceptable to charge for work that you clearly have no experience in doing!
Thank you for your opinion John. However, I am an honest person and I forewarned my customer that hers would be the first job after completing my 2 week tiling course with UKPTT. She is well aware I don’t have the experience that seasoned tilers have and she was happy to go ahead. The only way I can gain experience is by doing the work. It was the same when I started plumbing and heating. I’m now at a level high of standard, which is where I will get to with tiling the more I do and the more I seek the help and advice from positive members of this forum. Have a good day, John. All the best.

D

Dumbo

I do have a problem with people going on about tanking as if its law and in not going to get into the Wright's and wrongs of it but its not just tanking . Now as far as in aware waterproofing is not yet a British standard, i wish it was it would make it far easier to sell when pricing against somebody who is not . So people don't need to do it . Secondly British standards as far as in aware isn't law unlike building regs where you can be made to redo it . Rightly or wrongly you are not going to jail for not tanking , not using decoupling membrane, not back buttering,not using movement joints and the list goes on .

Whatever I do I do what is necessary to cover my back in case of any future issues. As long as I can say I did everything possible to prevent any issues that may arise, I can sleep at night!
Looks good to me mate. I did the course with uk pro tiling. Did a few jobs at home and for friends trying to build my confidence. Have tried several time on here and been in touch with local tilers trying to get work experience but no joy. I haven't got the minerals yet to tile in a customers home I have more or less given up on the tiling business. Good effort for getting out there keep it up.

James De

TF
Esteemed
London
how you getting on jay?
Lol have you not seen my other post? Basically been slated by everyone for a rubbish job I did. Fair points though I must admit. Can’t say it doesn’t hurt and zero the small slither of confidence I had. But I agree with what’s been said. Don’t think I’ll be tiling anything bigger than two shower walls for the time being

W

Waluigi

Lol have you not seen my other post? Basically been slated by everyone for a rubbish job I did. Fair points though I must admit. Can’t say it doesn’t hurt and zero the small slither of confidence I had. But I agree with what’s been said. Don’t think I’ll be tiling anything bigger than two shower walls for the time being

The fact that you give a S*** actually means you want to try to improve. From the point at which you started in the game to the point at which you become a fully experienced tiler is an upward trajectory however there are sometimes dips in that path and you’ll get past that. Onwards and upwards. You learn from it and move on.

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Warwickshire
Don’t be or do be It means you are learning. I have done jobs that people were dead happy with. Looking back I think .. I could have done that differently / better ... you are honest. They are happy. Do each job better than the one before. if you don’t you are failing. Never give up. Ask for help. Plan. Prepare. Learn. You obviously care. You will be fine.

James De

TF
Esteemed
London
The fact that you give a S*** actually means you want to try to improve. From the point at which you started in the game to the point at which you become a fully experienced tiler is an upward trajectory however there are sometimes dips in that path and you’ll get past that. Onwards and upwards. You learn from it and move on.
I’ve learned that I will get in a plasterer before tiling anything; I learned half way through the job how it works for me to apply the tiles evenly so there are no lippages, I’ve learned I really suck at skimming I’ve learned humility and honesty and the readiness to learn and improve myself. Ive also learned to open my umbrella when I post job photos to stop me getting covered in s*** from the storm

I’ve learned that I will get in a plasterer before tiling anything; I learned half way through the job how it works for me to apply the tiles evenly so there are no lippages, I’ve learned I really suck at skimming I’ve learned humility and honesty and the readiness to learn and improve myself. Ive also learned to open my umbrella when I post job photos to stop me getting covered in s*** from the storm

reminds me of doing a commercial waste stack system and signing the toilets out of action :D

W

Waluigi

I remember my first day of work Experience. 16 years old, walked into a room with ten hairy 4rse Plumbers in, one of them asked what I wanted and I said I was doing my work experience. ‘Oh great another thick c/u next Tuesday’ was his reply and they all laughed.

I had four weeks of that. You move on and learn from it. Getting a bit of criticism on a forum is nothing.

T

Time's Ran Out

How do you learn?
Not at other people’s expense and putting my trade into disrepute.
If you all think it’s easy and post pictures of your best work then expect comments but don’t whine because you don’t like the replies.
@James De has taken the thread results on board and will learn for his next effort.
Members have joined this forum to learn and share a common interest and there are many experienced tilers here to help.
The main thing is - just enjoy!

How do you learn?
Not at other people’s expense and putting my trade into disrepute.
If you all think it’s easy and post pictures of your best work then expect comments but don’t whine because you don’t like the replies.
@James De has taken the thread results on board and will learn for his next effort.
Members have joined this forum to learn and share a common interest and there are many experienced tilers here to help.
The main thing is - just enjoy!

so you never messed up as an apprentice/ newbe causing the boss an expense

and as with every trade disrepute is already there / around simple way to find some look at site work and how many on here eg people asking advice after a tilers been in and there not happy / have a feeling

Reply to First tiling job after my course with UKPTT in the Tiling Courses area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement