Search the forum,

Discuss Find this a bit strange....... in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

Old Mod

I took this from a tile store web site.

‘The majority of floor tiles these days are given an anti slip rating. This rating comes in the form of an 'R' value. The 'R' stands for 'ramp test'. This 'R' value ranges from R9, which has a small degree of slip resistance, right up to R13, which is the highest slip resistance. This 'R' value shows the degree of slip resustance the tile has.

R13 is the resistance recommended by many professionals for public wet areas such as showers in a changing room and pool surrounds, whereas R9 and R10 values are often used for domestic situations such as bathrooms and kitchens.’

O

Old Mod

The above are ramp test ratings,
The other measurement used is the PTV test....

188F6F99-67C4-4B98-BDE2-D5324D22B4BD.jpeg 85F78985-09E6-42DD-BD7D-1C8D413520C9.jpeg
Uncle Ray has one of these, and I’m sure if anyone needed such a test doing he’d be only too happy to assist.

O

Old Mod

So it has nothing to do with the quality of the tiles, just you might slip on your arse if you're a clumsy prat...??

Yep that’s it Andy.

@3_fall - great bit of information.
Thank you.

Thank you John,
PTV tests are considered far more accurate, reason being the ramp test means exactly that.
A test subject is made to walk on a tiled board with bare feet and a soap contaminate and the R value is determined by the point at which the test subject slips as the board is raised at one end creating a ramp.
The other method the test subject wears work boots and the board is contaminated by motor oil.

Each method conforms to a different DIN standard.

DIN standards are a European thing from Germany.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Tile Shop

UKSRG have recently done comparisons to compare PTV and R ratings and found that the R ratings are very sporadic. Seen several cases of R9's (RAK Lounge Matt) being more anti-slip than a few R11's because of its micro-texture. If a slip case ever goes to court, R's are thrown out as being unreliable, and the HSE's recommended test results are used, which is the PTV.

We're in the slow process of phasing out R ratings as they are only reliable if someone is tiling a ramp that is likely to be covered in oil! We've even had to send a 1000 sqm order of 20mm external porcelain back to a factory as it wasn't suitable for external use, lol. Claimed it was R11 but only scored 18 in wet conditions (See 3_fall's table)..... in comparison, the Lounge scored 50.

O

Old Mod

UKSRG have recently done comparisons to compare PTV and R ratings and found that the R ratings are very sporadic. Seen several cases of R9's (RAK Lounge Matt) being more anti-slip than a few R11's because of its micro-texture. If a slip case ever goes to court, R's are thrown out as being unreliable, and the HSE's recommended test results are used, which is the PTV.

We're in the slow process of phasing out R ratings as they are only reliable if someone is tiling a ramp that is likely to be covered in oil! We've even had to send a 1000 sqm order of 20mm external porcelain back to a factory as it wasn't suitable for external use, lol. Claimed it was R11 but only scored 18 in wet conditions (See 3_fall's table)..... in comparison, the Lounge scored 50.

I did wonder if you wrote the article Paul.

Reply to Find this a bit strange....... in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen