Search the forum,

Discuss Filler for holes prior to tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Element

TF
Reaction score
I have just been to a house where the tiles have been knocked off the (plasterboard) walls and there's several nasty looking holes to fill before the surface will take some tiles... What would you recommend for filling holes say 1" - 1.5" deep and maybe 3-4" across? I would use tile adhesive for smaller ones - but there's a few big ones too... Ideally something that will go off fast?
Many thanks for your advice...!

M

Mike

it would be best to reboard the walls if the plasterboard is damaged as you say. it's only a fiver a board so it shouldn't be too expensive to do properly

jindru

TF
Reaction score
i agree with mike.you will spend more time filling and sanding than replacing the back board.if depth is a problem use backer board screwed on to existing studs,or replace gyproc and if a shower tank it

P

Perry

if there is not to many holes cut out holes replace with new paster board in the holes if there is to many as everyone else re board

Element

TF
Reaction score
Reboarding would be the best route no doubt - but this is in a kitchen and the holes are above the worktops and beneath the cupboards...:( It would mean removing the cupboards and replacing the boards then refitting the cupboards and I doubt that the ol lady would go for that!:) The main hole is adjacent to a double socket... looks as though they used an axe to remove the old tiles!

Reply to Filler for holes prior to tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen