Search the forum,

Discuss Female Tilers in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

Leanne

Hi Leanne,
I have been meaning to reply to your message for a while. I went on Darren's course in January this year and left my real job to tile full time in February. I have been kept pretty busy and am about to get my new van lettered up with my business name and phone number. I know you were working at North East Tiling Training with Darren and had just left prior to me going on the course. I have been tiling for about 15 years for myself and friends and family and made the decision to go professional for financial reasons and because I enjoyed tiling.

I have had a few tricky jobs and have underestimated time and consequently underpriced my jobs a few times but I am getting better.

The only thing I seem to struggle with is getting a good enough finish when siliconing.

The way Darren showed us on the course was okay ( I still mess up!) but I have seen really perfect sealing on a few kitchens and bathroom and have heard that there is some tool or system available that gives a great finish. My pal said she saw something on one of those shopping channels - do you know anything about it?

The reason I am asking is that I have the chance to do the tiling on a few new buids near where I live but I am not happy with my sealing and that is the only thing holding me back from taking on the work.

Hope you can help and hope your own business is going well.

Cheers

Margaret (from fife up in scotland!)

hiya thank you for your message and sorry i didnt reply sooner! im really glad youve done so well for your self i hope to get there some day! theres a few hurdles for me 2 jump 1st! and as for the silicone i dont know any other way then darrens way have you asked any1 on here about it? x

G

GazTech

I've just lost one of my favourite traders Clare of CH tiling in Preston,she traded with us and has been a proffessional for over 8 years.She has a great portfolio and her customers adore her.Sad to see her go but she's moving to Bristol then to her place in France.There are very few occasions where brut strength is needed in tiling,just a bit of thought and patience and ladies all remember shiny side up!

A

anne0411

shiny side up - my arse!

just finished my victorian geometric course - loved it! there's a couple of other girls starting out and it reminded me of language and logic - men think in numbers, facts and figures. whereas us girls think in pictures, look and feel. i keep explaining to the 2 girls my way as opposed to the tutors. it's the same language just a different accent! ;-)

G

GazTech

shiny side up - my arse!

just finished my victorian geometric course - loved it! there's a couple of other girls starting out and it reminded me of language and logic - men think in numbers, facts and figures. whereas us girls think in pictures, look and feel. i keep explaining to the 2 girls my way as opposed to the tutors. it's the same language just a different accent! ;-)
I think maybe a sense of humour also is good !:wink_smile:

M

MTiler

Hi

Im another female tiler and new to the trade. Been lurking around this site for a month or so. Based in North London, not far from the Tiling Goddess.

cheers

Miss Tiler

Viva Tiling

T

Total Tiling

Hi Leanne,
Whereabouts are you based? Just started up in South Tyneside but advertising all round Tyneside...hope I won't be stepping on any toes!!!
Diane

J

Jblake

hello there didnt realise there were other females on here. im about to do the nett course in november but ive fortunately got my best m8 doing it with me so we hope to start a business together. Hows everyone finding work ok?

D

Deleted member 1779

Shiny side up?

You mean like this?

23209017.jpg

S

Sianj

Hi,
I just registered with this site, I'm a female tiler.
Actually I'm a plumber, but when I was an apprentice, my boss made me learn how to tile first, before he'd let me anywhere near a blowlamp!
It's served me well, because usually when a price a kitchen or bathroom for a customer, they usually want tiling as well.
never met another female plumber or tiler, nice to know Im not alone. x

Reply to Female Tilers in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen