Search the forum,

Discuss Epoxy grout on foam board substrate? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

user123

Bit of a long shot question here, I know, but thinking of using craft industry foamboard as a light and flexible substrate for a mosaic that has to be sent through the post, the customer (experienced tiler) said he would be happy to epoxy grout it at his end - where the foamboard could be fixed to a solid substrate, too.

Would epoxy grout dissolve foamboard or would that be ok?

U

user123

When I googled it I just kept coming across epoxy in combination with the foam of surfboards, and there seemed to be an issue, but to be honest, it wasn't clear and there were a few contradictory posts.... the surface of the foamboard is just a layer of some thing plastic of sorts, the foam is in the middle, but packed between styrofoam and sheet of ply it should travel really well.... has anyone ever had any issues with epoxy grout or adhesive for that matter dissolving anything?

J

JDFMMosaics

I'm afraid I don't know much about the reaction between epoxy grouts and styrofoam, but wondered if had considered any alternatives to styrofoam such as building your mosaic on fibreglass mesh?

U

user123

Foamboard is not styrofoam, JDFM - just a potentially very useful substrate for sending overseas. I use different types of mosaic mesh, mosaic adhesive film of different strengths, as well as the double reverse method (fast becoming my favourite) all the time, but for this particular commission I wanted utmost reliability in transit while keeping the weight (hence shipping costs) down as much as possible, as well as making it as easy to finish off for the customer in the US. Foamboard only makes sense in those conditions IMO, but could be perfect ...

R

Rich

Sorry MG, I dont think I can offer any help here :thumbsdown:

Could you contact the epoxy grout manufacturer? They must have a tech department that might be able to give you a bit more info.

Or the board manufacturer?

U

user123

Yes, that was my next thought, or rather ask the American customer to check with the epoxy manufacturer he buys from. Just thought someone may have had some experience with epoxies accidently disolving any plastics, rubbers, or foams...

D

DHTiling

Gisela.
Could you not just use the likes of wedi or marmox board, then it is direct to the cement faced board and they are very light weight .?

U

user123

Yes, but they are a) easier to break in transit - the foam board can be bent quite a bit before it snaps, if you have it chucked about and other parcels landing on top... and b) that particular project requires a lot of white and translucency, the foamboard where I could use a special type of water soluble superglue I have discovered is whiter even than white adhesive and would give it that glow from behind - it's just that I know the customer wants to use epoxy grout, so wanted to make sure it's all compatible before I start, you see? With mosaics on mesh, with the tiny pices I use, the fibreglass mesh is not the best option... I can use tinier detail on a smooth base.

D

DHTiling

OK..

If you can find out what grout the customer is going to use then it would be worthwhile emailing the said comp in the usa to ask this very question, then all bases have been covered.. but i can't see it being a problem..

Reply to Epoxy grout on foam board substrate? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen