Search the forum,

Discuss Epoxy advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

davy_G

After posting on another thread I thought i would start my own to get some advice.
Now, I have never used epoxy but will be tiling my own extension kitchen/diner and back hall this year. Being a farmhouse and with patio doors and the back door (the main door for the house) I would like to use epoxy to stop the grout getting grubby over time.

So whats the difference in cost over regular flexi grout.
Oh, some of it will have UFH....any issues there?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

D

davy_G

Last time I used epoxy, a few years ago, I think it was out of Frackletons. Not sure of the price but would be worth giving them a ring. Theirs would most likely be Bal so probably at the dearer end of things.

Cheers Wingn, im not saying its a blank cheque but as its for my own pad I dont mind getting decent gear and paying for it. Im sure i can negotiate some discount:thumbsup:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
It's fine with UFH. BAL "Easypoxy" isn't easy at all! I'd use a Mapei one that is easier, but still a bit of a maul.

It does cost quite a bit more, you being trade should help get it down a bit compared to the scary retail prices of it, but it's still not cheap.

It is brilliant stuff once down though. And I think it looks neater than normal grout too as it sort of looks like silicone once it's set. Has a bit of a smooth sheen to it. (You probably know what it looks like).

I'd go for it in my own heavy traffic areas. I don't think I'd do walls in it in a kitchen though, but a wetroom I'd definitely consider it as it's one extra layer that's waterproof - that said I'd still tank etc but you know you're protecting the tanking even if you use epoxy.

D

davy_G

If you go in in your work clothes you should get a few quid off. Can ask in Huttons on Monday for you if you like, they give 40-70% discount depending on what it is.

I usually get my gear at Mccalls or through a contact at Larsons. Mccalls stock Dunlop and Ardex so I will price them, dont think larsons do epoxy!

Sure ask next time your in and see. Thanks!

H

hillhead

Hi davy.tilemarket on boucher road i think stock laticrete epoxy grouts and laticrete have actually set up in there with an office.i net the guy in newry and is keen to promote the adhesives and grouts so dont be afraid to go in and introduce yourself and tell him you want to try it.he WILL give you a good price or a bag for nothing id say.i got 2 bags superflex addy and a permacolour grout of him in newry on a promotion night. Damn good stuff.

D

davy_G

Cheers Joe,
I prefer the Bangor TM as i cant be bothered with the traffic on the Boucher road. I will call Bangor first to see if any of the lemmings know what epoxy is though!

Will call into Boucher sometime im passing, got a nice kitchen floor coming up off the Malone road. Waiting on the kitchen fitters to get the old kitchen out first....

David Scott tiles, expensive$$$$$$$:thumbsup:

Kerapoxy is spot on:thumbsup: and as Dan says Easypoxy is NOT easy at all:thumbsdown:

The best and easiest I've ever used was Laticrete - it was a 3 part product not sure of its name as it was about 15 years ago, but a doddle to use all the same:thumbsup:

No problems with the UFH at all:smilewinkgrin:

Just make sure you get some scotch pads and doodlebug holder for emulsifying the grout and thinners for cleaning your tools:thumbsup:

The air temperature plays a massive part in the installation of the epoxy as well:thumbsup:

Last edited:
R

Rob Z

Kerapoxy is spot on:thumbsup: and as Dan says Easypoxy is NOT easy at all:thumbsdown:

The best and easiest I've ever used was Laticrete - it was a 3 part product not sure of its name as it was about 15 years ago, but a doddle to use all the same:thumbsup:

No problems with the UFH at all:smilewinkgrin:

Just make sure you get some scotch pads and doodlebug holder for emulsifying the grout and thinners for cleaning your tools:thumbsup:

The air temperature plays a massive part in the installation of the epoxy as well:thumbsup:

Merle,was it SP100 that you used?:thumbsup:

H

hillhead

I was at the laticrete demo night near me a couple of months ago and seen a demo of the epoxy grout! Extremely easy to work with.expensive but brilliant..even laticretes grout dont loose colour! And are guaranteed to hold consistant colour! I have a bag of white permacolour but haven't used it yet.too many floors.lol.a sponge and bucket of water cleaned the epoxy off! Unreal.

Found this link for a Mapei epoxy in the states

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYCPZFPIqsE]YouTube - MAPEI OPTICOLOR GROUT APPLICATION DEMO[/ame]

Do you know much about this one Rob? might be that it's just the same grout as what we call Kerapoxy over here :smilewinkgrin:

Found this one for Laticrete product as well:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-0CYcXgb6s[/ame]

Last edited:
R

Rob Z

I know it was 'SP' something or other - i thought it was SP200 or 250, but like I said it was years ago, so it might have been SP100, excellent stuff nonetheless:thumbsup: incredibly easy to wash off:hurray:

Merle,

I know that Laticrete uses different numbers for the same products that are sold outside of the US and Canada. They might have renamed SP100 as SP (some other #). SP100 is still sold overseas, although it is hard to get here. Spectralock has essentially replaced it nationwide.

Reply to Epoxy advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in preparation for tiling. A couple of days after there's a lot of very fine cracks which have appeared, you...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The homeowner of the property I'm working on has just come to me and asked if anything can be done about...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.