Search the forum,

Discuss Envolope cut joint widening? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

Waluigi

Have you thought about the joint actually closing as it drops into position?

Well, you have now:tearsofjoy:

Wayne Brown

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
As above cut the tiles and lay them dry to achieve the envelope layout suitable for the tray these were cut free hand with a 115mm angle grinder . Kop

20181201_132750.jpg 20181203_173253.jpg 20190102_150631.jpg

T

Time's Ran Out

Old news but it still doesn’t get any better - and I’d certainly not recommend it as a ‘ professional’ result!
I remember the thread - the discussion - your resulting choice - and sadly it’s not the answer to setting out a former tray.
Fail to plan - plan to fail!

Reaction score
Hi Beyond the Blue, I have tiled a few formers with 600x600mm porcelain, prefer the ones where the waste is central rather than linear. As the tiles follow the fall the grout joints will slightly widen and close up in places, but by laying dry and making small adjustments it should all work out fine.

Reaction score
Hi Beyond the Blue, I have tiled a few formers with 600x600mm porcelain, prefer the ones where the waste is central rather than linear. As the tiles follow the fall the grout joints will slightly widen and close up in places, but by laying dry and making small adjustments it should all work out fine.

Chewie

TF
Reaction score
I'm about to start tiling over a Impey Aqua Grade former with 600 x 600 floor tiles using envolope cuts. One of the cuts will be corner to corner so will be 850mm long. When the corner of the tile drops 20mm the gap must open up accordingly. By how much will it open up roughly? Will it look silly and what can be done to make it look acceptable? I haven't made the cut yet in order not to waste the tile. Hope you guys might offer some advice before I start.
Hello BTB,
This is a belated reply as I haven't been on here for yonks but I understand what you meant, totally.
I just did an Impey floor the same and the gradient made the grout lines converge where they shouldn't and the opposite et cetera. Like some of the other guys said, you can muddle the pieces around to "rob Peter to pay Paul" with the grout joint widths.
I found that the best way with such gradients and steep cuts is to definitely isolate the tiling of the tray from the rest of the floor.
Chewie

Reaction score
Hello BTB,
This is a belated reply as I haven't been on here for yonks but I understand what you meant, totally.
I just did an Impey floor the same and the gradient made the grout lines converge where they shouldn't and the opposite et cetera. Like some of the other guys said, you can muddle the pieces around to "rob Peter to pay Paul" with the grout joint widths.
I found that the best way with such gradients and steep cuts is to definitely isolate the tiling of the tray from the rest of the floor.
Chewie
I'm about to start later today, so time will tell.

Reply to Envolope cut joint widening? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen