Discuss Edging for uneven tiles in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Dr Bob

Morning all,

I'm about to do my second DIY tiling project but I just have a quick question that I could do with the thoughts of some more experienced people on. This is the only thing slowing me down in my new found most favourite hobby, but with some help I'm sure I'll be off and running again. Then I can plan what I tile next! I am in danger of a fully tiled house though, inside and out!

So, my lastest tiles are 150 x 75 mm bevel edged ceramics for a sink splashback. Its free standing so the splashback will be ~400 x 750 mm in the middle of a wall. Under normal circumstances, I would think a 6 mm edging round would finish it off nicely, but I want to do a brick pattern so the vertical edge will alternate between a whole tile and cut tile with each course.

So, does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to proceed? I think the tiles are 6 mm in the middle down to 4 mm with the bevel. Should I use a 6 mm edge which would make the cut tiles perfect and the whole ones slightly proud, or go for a deeper edge which would be perfect for the whole tiles, but leave the cut ones low (to be made reasonable nice looking with grout).

Thanks in advance for any thoughts,

Bob

D

Dr Bob

Damn, cocked up my last paragraph. I've no doubt its self explanatory, but just for clarity what I meant was that 6 mm edge would leave the whole tiles perfect and the cut ones proud, where as a deeper edge would be perfect for cut tiles, but leave the whole ones low. Great start that, wasn't it?! Soz.

nybor62

TF
Reaction score
i know exactly were ya coming from did one recently. if the 6mm covers the cut tile then go with that looks fine when grouted ,cut a tile in half and offer it up to the trim, you might need an 8mm trim depending on thickness of cut tile, ok

M

Mike

you could use 3 quarters for your first tile and finish with 3 quarters, and use the off cuts for the next row. and take the bevels off top and bottom and use 8mm trim. sounds a lot of work but easy with a decent little manual cutter

I

Ian

The way Mike has suggested is the best option, that way there are no whole tiles into the trim thus giving you an even 6mm all the way down.

D

Dr Bob

Just to clarify, do you mean to shift the whole pattern by a quarter tile wide to the left or right, there by giving every course a cut tile at each side? Thats genius, hadn't occured to me to do that! All I have to do now is to find an 8 mm trim - can find 6, 9 or 12, but struggling with the 8!

D

Dr Bob

Anyone know of a Nottingham outfit that flogs this kind of stuff. Not being in the trade I don't know where to go for things that are not available at the usual DIY retailers. I only need 1 length too! Hardly a big order!

Reply to Edging for uneven tiles in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

• Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Marley