Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss earn £45k+ per year in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

H

howard

i was looking in my local newspaper this morning looking through the job section there was a tiling course ad that read in just 4 weeks become a professional tiler & earn £45k +per year. does anybody on this forum earn that kind of money from tiling not many if any i would say

C

charlie1

Realistically you could earn about 30k per year TOP. Especially with the amount of competition out there now. 3 or 4 years ago I think this would have been very achievable.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I worked for a guy that used to charge us both out for the week at around £1500 - £2000 and we'd get it. We'd do a bathroom for 2k from top to bottom with new suite (not in with the price obviously) and electric underfloor heating and all sorts - we'd actuall make on all products and materials too. Costing the customer between 3k and 5k - with my gaffa making about 2k and me the 500 quid lol.

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
Reaction score
It is achievable if you sell extras like tiles and adhesives etc on every job you can and you have good contacts, you can up sell to adding design work into the job for extra money, what people forget is that you have to be a salesman before you are a tiler, if you dont sell your work, doesnt matter how good a job you would have done, someone else is doing it and making your money. Think every way you can on how you can earn exras from the job, thats what i teach, thats when you will notice the money comming in, had a lad ring me last week to say that he made £150 profit on the tiles and £60 on adhesives before he even started doing the job, Think like that.

P

pjtiler

you,ll never earn 45k bathroom bashing thats for sure

now site works a whole different ball game

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
Reaction score
Big Floors is what you need to get the dosh in, ive just given a job to two tilers who are on a 1200 metre shopping centre floor in aderdeen at the moment, they are pulling in about £400 per day each, £18 per metre, 600x600 tiles, no grouting to be done as well, they are getting the polish in to grout up. Plenty jobs like that is what you need, again have the right contacts is the key

T

tiler burden

45 k per year in any trade is possibel but it requires planning, contacts, experience, and a real will to work hard and be very motivated. we are facing a tough few years so maybe it will be harder to achieve than in the past. if this kind of money is to be achieved then i believe high end domestics, ie wetrooms, natural stone fixing, bathroom design supply and fit is the key. or site work with no obstacles and decent meterage prices but speed is a big big factor and the older pros will make more than the newer brigade due to their experience and technique.

one word of advice i would give to any new tiler/plasterer whatever is....dont listen to tiling training centers when it comes to 'how much can i earn a year'. these guys are in the business to make money from you!!!!!! they will happily profess all day long to the amount you can earn becaue they want you to jump on board and train with them. honestly, if they were so happy and fulfilled tiling, then why did they stop doing it and decide to fast track train people. the answer is, there is far far more money to be made making money from newbies than there is in tiling!! isnt that right darren?

listen to the people who are on the sites or who are tiling for a living , who are actually out there with years of experience like dave, pj, mz etc etc.

hope you do make your 45k, just be open minded and look to expand when the opportunity arises..

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I thank you all for sharing your opinions with us all.

Though I know it's possible to earn far more than even £45k - though I know when you start up in the tiling game it's hard to earn £10k per annum.

And the reason is it's a new business. Many businesses fold within their first three years of trading. If you can get past that time you know you'll be booming with referals alone - let alone pushing your business to a new level.

I think site-work pays the least personally. And the work isn't nice work, and you're often using the wrong gear due to price-wars.

I think you'll soon find the markets steady off here in the UK. And the good tilers will be getting good work.

As I promise you this: TILES ARE BEING FITTED TODAY - AND TOMORROW - AND THE DAY AFTER - so is it you that's fitting them or somebody else?

B&Q sell the most tiles in the UK. Even more than Topps. Even more than Topps and the next few big guys even! And they're still selling the same amount of tiles this year as they were last year and the year before! And I think they'll be selling MORE tiles next year too!

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
Reaction score
I dont think burden was having a pop at me because i know him well, Thing is anything is achievable if your self employed, its when your employed you are restricted, if i tell you you can only make 15 k per year and you done 16 grand in that year, you would be happy, on the other hand if i tell you, you should be earning 50 k per year and you tried for that and only made 25 k, well thats better than the 16 you were happy with before.
I say on my website that you can earn up to 40 k per year as a tiler and i stand by that, i dont say that you are going to do it in the first year as any new business has to develop but you have to strive to get there and have the motivation in yourself to get there, anyone that has been on my course including burden will tell you that i go in heavily on the business skills you need to make the money, just being a good tiler is not near enough to make plenty money ,The first 4 months of running my training centre i just broke even, its only with hard work and long hours that my reputation has made me do well. So all you tilers out there start thinking like a business man and not a tiler, look for avenues that will make a difference, if it was easy everyone would be doing it, said it before, networking is the answer, the ones who listen and have the drive will do the best

P

Perry

well you can earn a lot more than 45k a year but not very easy on your own you need a good name good contacts and be very good at what you do and the the bigger the risks the bigger the money but also the bigger the fall :pete

Reply to earn £45k+ per year in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks