Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss DIY overlay boards for ufh in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hey guys.

Long time reader, first time poster.

I've got 42mm between my current concrete slab (insulated) and my desired final floor level (tiles)

How do I overlay my pipes?

Is there a thin screed that can be applied over the pipes?

Alternatively I was thinking of making some DIY overlay boards. I got the idea after reading about chipboard overlay boards and thought that I could make overlay boards out of plywood.

I would cut 18mm plywood in strips of 200mm and wedge the 16mm pipes in between each strip.

Each strip would be screwed into the concrete.

The plywood would then be primed and tiles laid directly onto the plywood.

The pipes would have plywood on both sides, concrete underneath and tiles directly above.

The total amount of space that needs underfloor heating and tile is 4.5 sq m

Any advice would be much appreciated.

ES

D

Dumbo

Don't use plywood. Use Hardie backer board . 6mm + 12mm glued and screwed .
Wood is not a good surface to tile to . I'm not saying this will work but it will be better than using . You could also consider putting 6mm insulation board underneath . Unless I've missed something you have room .

S

Spare Tool

16mm pipes plus 15mm tile and https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ (guessing at 10mm for tile) so only need to make up 11mm, just pressure up pipes and stick a few 11mm height markers and pour a flexible leveler on till you hit the markers..

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for that mate.
So that's 26mm I've got to fill.

Any cheap and cheerful levelling compound you recommend?

I've also heard that standard sand cement render with some sort of fibreglass additive is strong enough at much smaller thicknesses provided its bonded directly to the slab.

Anybody have any experience with this?

D

Dumbo

Do not try and just do cheap and cheerful or you will end opening it twice . That is to thin for sad and cement especially with heating . As above mapei renovation has a good rep

F

Flintstone

I think you should have a realllllly good read on this forum before you starting jumping in and using ply wood and cheap materials.

Glynn

TF
Reaction score
I would also bring to your attention of, who would the guarantee be with. What you are going to do is making up your own UFH system that does not have any testing results to back up its performance. Check with your chosen leveller manufacturer first but don't be surprised if you get a "No".

S

Spare Tool

I would also bring to your attention of, who would the guarantee be with. What you are going to do is making up your own UFH system that does not have any testing results to back up its performance. Check with your chosen leveller manufacturer first but don't be surprised if you get a "No".
Is what it is though really Glynn...back in the real world we get advised by certain manufacturers to looselay 9mm ply over ufh or pour a cement based latex over aluminium foil, sometimes you just gotta do what you know works..

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys fellas
Very insightful.

3 maybe 4 bags of mapei renovation screed from Screwfix should do it..

This sounds like the best option to me.
So I can lay the pipes on top of the concrete and then poor the renovation screed directly above the pipes to the required level?

I have been recommended something like this too:
Concrete & Screed Fibres - 900G bag of 18mm polypropylene (PP) fibres 5060442883055 | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Concrete-Screed-Fibres-900G-bag-of-18mm-polypropylene-PP-fibres-/141736144766

Does anybody have any experience with using Polypropylene fibres to make thin sand + cement screeds?

Thanks again

ES

OP
E
Reaction score
you have to copy and paste the text into google mate. Its the first link.

Those ready boards are a good shout but it'll work out more expensive I think. I'll need 5 boards @ ÂŁ25 each and levelling compound underneath them.

The Mapei looks good and it'll give better heat distribution.

I've already got lots of sand and cement and was wondering if I could make my own screed reinforced with PP fibre and SBR to fill 26mm worth of space.
Standard screed would definitely curl but I have heard good things about PP fibre.

Reply to DIY overlay boards for ufh in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock