Search the forum,

Discuss Ditra over SLC over ply over ply in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Greg

(I know similar questions have been posted before but they're closed for follow up questions)
I have a 1930s house where I'm renovating the bathroom - a complete refit that includes removing all the squeaky, somewhat rotten (in places), but crucially not-level floorboards and replacing them with a 12mm ply sub-floor adjusted to make the floor as level as I can. Then glued and screwed (every 200mm) over that is 18mm marine ply. I'm planning to use the least SLC I can get away with, to minimise the size of a step into the bathroom. Then over that is a Schlüter DITRA uncoupling layer/membrane and then tile over that with 600mm sqare 10mm tiles.

The SLC is Ardex Arditex NA (powder & latex)

Am I correct to use minimal SLC?
Will the uncoupling layer protect the tiles if the SLC is thin and if not, what's a minimum thickness?

Have I forgotten anything?

H

hmtiling

(I know similar questions have been posted before but they're closed for follow up questions)
I have a 1930s house where I'm renovating the bathroom - a complete refit that includes removing all the squeaky, somewhat rotten (in places), but crucially not-level floorboards and replacing them with a 12mm ply sub-floor adjusted to make the floor as level as I can. Then glued and screwed (every 200mm) over that is 18mm marine ply. I'm planning to use the least SLC I can get away with, to minimise the size of a step into the bathroom. Then over that is a Schlüter DITRA uncoupling layer/membrane and then tile over that with 600mm sqare 10mm tiles.

The SLC is Ardex Arditex NA (powder & latex)

Am I correct to use minimal SLC?
Will the uncoupling layer protect the tiles if the SLC is thin and if not, what's a minimum thickness?

Have I forgotten anything?
Latex first then ditra if you have these materials to hand. If not, 22mm ply sub floor, 6mm cement board and tile

G

Greg

20180907_103510.jpg
Latex first then ditra if you have these materials to hand. If not, 22mm ply sub floor, 6mm cement board and tile
Maybe this image more clearly explains what I mean.
I've already got the 12mm subfloor and 18mm Marine ply down (glued & screwed). So, if I understand your response, I'm right to use the latex based SLC over the ply, then the Ditra, then the tile. The remaining question is can I go for the thinnest possible amount of SLC where it may even fade to zero (options A &/or B) or is there a minimum thickness (option C)?

H

hmtiling

You can feather na out so options a and b. It doesn't go very deep without aggregate though, 15mm if memory serves. :thumbsup:

Reply to Ditra over SLC over ply over ply in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen