Discuss Dijon Limestone - fixing & prep advice please in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

TimmoF

-
Reaction score
After some advice please.....

We have approx. 50sq m of Dijon limestone 600 x 90 x15mm and also 50 sqm of porcelain wood effect 1200 x 200 x 10mm to lay.
This is going onto a 55mm Cemfloor liquid screed (with wet UFH) that was put down about a year ago so should be dry!

Really after some thoughts?
Was going to use Durabase CI+ and I realise I need a flexible adhesive but there is a dizzying array to choose from! Having read some of the feedback here I've ruled out a couple.
I have a trade account at CTD so looking at BAL Flex One or Ultra Trade S1 slow. Also considering KeraKoll Bio-Gel.
Looking at the data sheets, the Ultra Trade S1 appears to just be a CTD "exclusive" branding of the Ultra Standard Set SPES.
Would really appreciate thoughts any anything to watch out for. E.g if they are all suitable adhesives or if I should steer clear of any. Do I need to seal the limestone first etc..

Many thanks!

Hobnob

-
Reaction score
It sounds as though you’ve done a lot of research so I don’t want to teach you to suck eggs.
Durabase is my preferred decoupling membrane 👍🏼 Use a maximum of 6mm trowel (4 mm is better) to stick it down and roller it with a vinyl floor roller if you have one, otherwise just “dress” it with the flat edge of the trowel.
Ultra SPES is a good adhesive and although many advise to use a rapid set with limestone in this weather it is better to trowel the floor, back skim the stone and you shouldn’t get any “shadowing”.
It is good practice to seal the limestone prior to installation.
Good luck!

TimmoF

-
Reaction score
Many thanks for your input Hobnob much appreciated.
I think you were alluding to the fact that because the weather warm at the moment use of a slower set adesive might be better rather than a rapid set?

TimmoF

-
Reaction score
Just to add .. have you fired up the UFH yet to commission the screed. ? . Also if there’s surface laitence , has it been sanded. ?
Yes.

On the subject of snading this is what Cemfloor saying about their liquid screed:

Cemfloor Screed Surface Preparation.

A common misunderstanding when it comes to flowing screeds is that all types of flowing screeds must be surface ground and primed before floor coverings are installed over the screed. Surface grinding is carried out to remove a weak fine layer of dust called laitance which is present on certain types of flowing screeds. To confuse things further there are two types of laitance which can occur.

The first type is a very weak friable dusty layer that is easily identified. The bond strength between the layer of surface laitance and the rest of the screed is very weak and therefore de-bonding of floor finishes will occur if adhesives are applied directly onto this.

The second type of laitance is a very dense hard layer of fine particles which is difficult to remove and can be difficult to identify. This type of laitance forms a glass like surface with a very low porosity. Due to the very dense closed surface; adhesives cannot penetrate the surface of the screed and therefore will not provide an adequate bond between the floor finish and the screed.

Priming of screed surfaces is carried out to provide a stable surface to which adhesives can be applied. Sometimes they are also necessary to prevent loss of the water from the adhesive into the screed. Priming is also essential for Calcium Sulphate screeds to provide a barrier between the calcium sulphate and the cement based adhesive. When a cement-based adhesive is applied directly onto calcium sulphate, cement can react with the gypsum in the screed resulting in a mineral called ettringite being formed at the interface. This will completely destroy any bond between the two materials.

Cemfloor screed is a proprietary flowing screed based on Ordinary Portland Cement (OPC) and Cemfloor binder. Due to its specific formulation the surface of the screed is strong with no laitance present. Since Cemfloor is a cement based screed there is no risk of a reaction taking place between the screed and the adhesive applied.

After Cemfloor screed is installed, a specially formulated evaporation control agent is applied to the surface of the screed. This has two functions; firstly, it ensures that the screed hydrates adequately in the first 24 hours and secondly it increases the bond strength between the surface of the screed and the adhesive used to install floor coverings.

Numerous tests carried out with various adhesive manufacturers show that a bond strength far in excess of 1.0 N/mm2 (double the normal requirement for tile adhesives) is achieved when the adhesive is applied as per the manufacturer’s instructions to Cemfloor. To achieve this, it is only necessary for the screed to be cleaned and to be free from any contamination or debris.

If you wish to learn more about Cemfloor, talk to us today on +353 94 9553900 if calling from Ireland or 01415 307 587 if calling from the UK

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Oh dear oh dear. Fail to prepare.... prepare to fail. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Reply to Dijon Limestone - fixing & prep advice please in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks