Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Prep on walls masonry, stud, moistureboard and skimmed plaster in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I need help on what prep I need to do.

I have read on the forums here and I seem to be going round in circles. I have a small bathroom which is stripped back to the following.

wall 1 - masonry red brick
wall 2 - masonry red brick
wall 3 - part stud wall with top 1/4 moistureboard attached
wall 4 stud wall - moistureboard attached skimmed over

a) So the bathroom will sit between walls 1,2,3. Here I am going to board out with tile backer board from wickes. I called STS and they said to use dot and dab to fix the board onto the walls and then mechanical fixings into the wall where the dot/dabs are. To use standards S1 https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ to dot dab. But to do the mechanical fixings straight awat and not after the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ has set.

To prepare the red masonry wall first I need to use a suitable primer? SBR neat or diluted? Or can I use the following from Toolstation - Mapei Plaster Primer

b) For the part stud wall - this will be boarded in the tile backer secured to the stud wall. But what prep do I need to do for the moistureboard?

c) wall 4 - will just have the sink and radiator attached. For some reason the plasterer skimmed over the wall. So its a stud wall with moisturebaord and skimmed. So what prep needs to be done here?

I am using wickes porcelain tiles that weigh 23kg.

I am having a showerbath fitted.

STS advised that the tilebacker board needs a beed of their STS glue on the edges so no need for tape or tanking on top.

jleag

-
Reaction score
So I have rung around and I think I will be going with the following unless someone advises against it.

Wall 1 - red brick. To prime with SBR 3:1 and leave for 30 mins before dot and dab the foam tile backer board.

Wall 3 - No prep requires can tile directly onto the moistureboard.

Wall 4 - to use Mapei primer G 1:1 - how long do you leave that?

As to Wall 4 which has skimmed plaster - the weight of my tiles is 23 kg m/2 plus grout and https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/.

So should I use that as a feature wall and get different but lighter weight tiles?

Reply to Prep on walls masonry, stud, moistureboard and skimmed plaster in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock