Search the forum,

Discuss Did I mess up on tiling over floorboards ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

Bigsasquatch

Hi,

Laid my first tiles over floorboards last weekend using DITRA, but I am worried I may have made a few mistakes.....

a) Firstly made sure that boards were level , clean and solidly screwed down, lightly washed with pva and allowed to dry completely.

b) Was given some adhesive along with the DITRA, which could be used wet, or as a contact type adhesive - applied to both boards and DITRA backing and then allowed to go tacky before pressing down firmly. Should I have laid the DITRA into wet adhesive for a better bond ?

c) My main issue is that I am worried I used the wrong kind of adhesive. I went for Evo-Stick Tile-a-Floor flexible adhesive/grout for laying on wooden floors ( ready mixed version ). I am assuming that the ready mixed version cures in Air ( i.e. not a chemical cure ), and whats worrying me is that having laid on top of DITRA , once the grout lines cure, there is going to be no permeation of air or loss of moisture from the adhesive under the tile, so it wont cure.............should I have used a different adhesive ?

In addition, I may have laid the adhesive slightly too thick, but without leaving it to cure. Difficult to know what will happen.....do I pull it up and start again ?

Cheers

BIG S

I

IvegotsTILE

I think you answered your own question with (c),
I would never use ready mixed stuff on floors or I would never use adhesive and grout in one.Should never use pva either.
You should have used a flexible floor adhesive and flexible grout,I think your right about it not curing properly I'm afraid.Personally I'd pull nthe lot up and start again.

Good luck

G

grumpygrouter

I think you answered your own question with (c),
I would never use ready mixed stuff on floors or I would never use adhesive and grout in one.Should never use pva either.
You should have used a flexible floor adhesive and flexible grout,I think your right about it not curing properly I'm afraid.Personally I'd pull nthe lot up and start again.

Good luck
Me too.:sad_smile: Ardex do materials specifically for Ditra, have a check on their site www.ardex.com.

Grumpy

Last edited by a moderator:
I

IvegotsTILE

Sorry just realised I didn't say to put the tiles on with ordinary rapid set,I meant for you to use flexi to put the ditra down.Luckily Dave's always on the ball:wink_smile:

Reply to Did I mess up on tiling over floorboards ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen