Search the forum,

Discuss depth of adhesive for 60cm x 40cm tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Ziggy

TF
Reaction score
Hi

I am putting down 610mmm x 405mm x 12mm travertine tiles straight onto concrete. The concrete is generally flat with occassional 1-3mm depressions. I therefore have been using a 10mm notched trowel which once the tiles are laid leaves about 6mm of set adhesive underneath. The tiles are going down well and it is very level with no lippage. Trouble is, I am getting through a lot of expensive adhesive (Parexlanko prolicreme 5074 - I am in France) . So is it best to continue as I am or lay a thin, say 3mm, layer of self levelling compound and then use thinner adhesive. I can't go thicker with the self levelling or the finished floor level will be too high. Can self levelling compund just be used in the depressions or do I have to do the whole floor? What is the ideal thickness of adhesive bed before tiles are laid for that size tile if the floor is flat?

One room of 25 square metres done and 4 more rooms to go so I am keen to get it right. All help appreciated.

S

Sean SML Tiling

Are you back skimming tiles? If so you might be able to get away with 8mm trowel but id personally stick with 10mm. Whos paying for adhesive?

R

Rookery

I'd be using a 20 x 10 round notch trowel and back-skimming using a white rsf. I wouldnt use a smaller notch trowel, you need a decent bed thickness on a large tile like this.

Ziggy

TF
Reaction score
Thanks for that. Yes I am skimming the back with adhesive too. I'll stick with the 10mm. It is me paying for the adhesive because it is my floor - I'd always rather pay out and do the job properly.

Reply to depth of adhesive for 60cm x 40cm tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen