Search the forum,

Discuss Damp. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Paul Sh

Been to look at a mates bathroom tonight and it is riddled with damp (you can even smell it) i told him you cant tile straight to it and that the problem would have to be sorted before any tiling was done, he told me that he had a guy comeing to sort it out, he then asked me how long after the damp was sorted could it be tiled. TBH I don't know, i told him that the guy treating it would give an indication of long it would be. I think it's something i should know, anyone care to enlighten me.:)

V

Varley

I had a damp course done in my dining room about five years ago and if memory serves me correctly the builder told me not to put any paint on the wall that was not waterbased for 3 months, i forget why, something about it needing to breath or something, so i would imagine it would be the same for tiling a wall thats just had a damp course...3 months.

Don't take my word for it though, was a long time ago.

P

Paul Sh

Is it something i should have known or is it solely down to the damproofers to supply the info, Cheers BTW.

V

Varley

Nah, no way a tiler would know unless they have ever come accross it before, handy to remember though, let us know when you find out mate.

D

DHTiling

if its just a case of knock off old plaster and re-new should wait 4 - 6 weeks depending on weight of materials to added per sqaure mtr of wall. plaster will hold approx 20 kg per sq mtr
and if dot and dab plaster board will hold approx 25 kg per sq mtr if it isn't skimmed.
hope this helps mate....

G

GazTech

Careful Paul,if there was any dry rot there as well,you will have picked up the spores on your clothes and impregnated the whole of your house GET IT CHECKED OUT ASAP

G

GazTech

only kidding
devil_smile.gif
...........suckered twice in one day!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Isn't there a damp tester thing which you touch on the walls to check the dampness levels? Isuppose if you had one and it read clear, you're laughing. Tell your mate to test it weekly with one?

Last edited:

Reply to Damp. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello all, I need some advice please. I recently had a contractor in to remodel my bathroom...
Replies
Views
Hello. Can I take your advice please? Our groundworks company are refusing to guarantee their...
Replies
Views
I’m tiling a ground floor of a house approx 120m through a ground floor with 5 doorways in the...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Grouting my shower walls in a few days. I tried to do everything by the book, which I did. Water...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen