Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss cracked screed in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
A job im doing, as ufh in a screed with a slc over the top, noticed today that a crack as appeared across a corner about 50 cm in, its only a mm wide at most, but should i be thinking about using a crack bridging membraine befor tiling. Any advice is appreciated.

S

Stef

I would check to see if it's loose, if it isn't then I would tile it.
I would also take note of it incase you have any bother in future.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Any pics?? That would help diagnosis and allow scientificly sound suggestions.

Reaction score
GetAttachment (2).jpg GetAttachment (1).jpg Not the best pics but the crack is just to the left of steel.

S

Stef

Oh that's a bit bigger than I thought, I read it as 50mm not 50cm.
Is it wet ufh in a self level, gypsum screed?

S

Stef

yes it is steff, it is all solid though

I'm having a bit of bother with one myself just now.
The plumbers had used egg board to clip the pipes in & the screed guys weren't happy, they had to weigh it down initially with concrete blocks as it started to float but once the screed was poured it held it down but they never took the blocks back out.
They tried to take the blocks out next day with hammers & cracked the screed, it's not too bad & is solid so I'm going to take a chance & tile it, not ideal but spoke it through with the owner/builder & he's happy to go with it.

I would let Alan deal with this one as he's the man when it comes to this type of screed.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If there is vertical movement it will need to be repaired. If there is no vertical movement then you could just use an uncoupling membrane. Wherever screeds crack I would always encourage get uncoupling anyway as you never know if the screed will crack further when it's heated.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
If there is vertical movement it will need to be repaired. If there is no vertical movement then you could just use an uncoupling membrane. Wherever screeds crack I would always encourage get uncoupling anyway as you never know if the screed will crack further when it's heated.

That's not always possible with wet ufh , if the crack isn't wider than 3mm or likely to open above 3mm then a crack matting will suffice don't you think Al..

Reply to cracked screed in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks