Search the forum,

Discuss Cracked Bathroom Tiles on Plywood in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

Ptolomy

Hi, I hoping someone here can help as you seem to know what you're doing more than my builder!

We had a new bathroom installed a couple of months ago. The builder replaced one of the internal walls with a plywood wall. Now there is a crack running horizontally right down the length of the wall, and also some vertical cracking behind the radiator.

He is coming back to repair it but seems to think it's just because the wood has now dried out that it's cracked, and redoing it will be fine.

From a bit of googling it seems like this is a common problem with tiling onto plywood so I don't want the same thing to happen again.

What's the best solution please - does the whole wall need redoing or can some kind of more suitable board be put over the Plywood? There's not a great deal of spare space as there's only about a 1cm gap between the units and the wall.

Thanks

T

Tim@Larsen

Hi Ptolomy,

Cracks like this are usually as a result of movement of some type. You'll know better if you take the tiles off either side of the cracks. I'm guessing it is either shrinkage of the plywood from drying out or insufficient support behind the edges of the boards.

If lack of support is the issue you may get away with oversheeting the plywood with a 6mm cement tile backer board. Although again make sure the new board is securely fixed to the studs and not just the plywood and take advice from the board manufacturer.

Plywood walls are common in bathrooms with the perception that it is a better job than plasterboard in 'damp' conditions. Nobody doing it this way seems to appreciate that all timber expands and shrinks with changes in moisture.

Reply to Cracked Bathroom Tiles on Plywood in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in preparation for tiling. A couple of days after there's a lot of very fine cracks which have appeared, you...
Replies
Views

Advertisement