Search the forum,

Discuss Cleaning Victorian Tile Path in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

robsob

Can anyone please advise the best cleaning process / solution for an old victorian (?) outside tile path. See pictures attached. i have power washed it to start, but the path has not had a proper clean for some time.

is there a good solution to get the deep grime out? once done how best to seal the tiles and give them a shine?

many thanks

Attachments

• IMG00017-20100206-1206.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG00018-20100206-1207.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 45

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
hg do a range of products for cleaning tiles they allso do range of sealers to ;ive used them in past with good results ;most good tile shops stock them

T

Terry Cottar

Can anyone please advise the best cleaning process / solution for an old victorian (?) outside tile path. See pictures attached. i have power washed it to start, but the path has not had a proper clean for some time.

is there a good solution to get the deep grime out? once done how best to seal the tiles and give them a shine?

many thanks

Aqua Mix Heavy Duty Tile & Grout Cleaner and Aqua Mix Nanoscrub will sort that for you. Available off tradetier.com or off E Bay. Wet a small area of the path preferably a bad bit then apply the HDT & Grout cleaner and allow it to dwell (Sit) for 15 minutes make sure you keep it wet then add a little nanoscrub and work that in. (All this is helped if you have or you can rent a low speed Rotary Scrubber fitted with a medium scrubbing brush and a good wet Vac) Then once you have allowed it to dwell rinse it off and vac dry. Then I bet your next thing will be to say they look fantastic wet but a bit jaded and dull when they are dry! If this is the case you can seal the whole lot with Aqua Mix Enrich and Seal Penetrating Sealer and your good for 15 years.

tel

tel

D

DHTiling

Looking at the pic... Do you have some loose ones as well.. or is it just some joint compound missing?

R

robsob

many thanks, will get those cleaners and get stuck in.
one more question - will you need the rotary device for the sealant / polish as well, or is that just rubbed on? just wondering whether to hire the machine
thanks

F

frankenfurter

apply the HDT & Grout cleaner and allow it to dwell (Sit) for 15 minutes make

Terry, dwelling a sodium hydroxide based cleaner is doing nothing more than bleaching the tile, giving the appearance of cleaning and causing damage. Surely you wouldn't advise using an acid on a calcium based stone? Sodium hydroxide and clay is the same thing.

I know this is what they teach on the Aqua Mix tupperware course, but it's only to compensate for their products lacking any decent ingredients and relying too much on old tech and builders.

Sorry but in the 'real' restoration arena these dwelling practices and their results would get you sued more often than not. A large majority of our work is repairing these 'following the label' blunders.

T

Terry Cottar

Terry, dwelling a sodium hydroxide based cleaner is doing nothing more than bleaching the tile, giving the appearance of cleaning and causing damage. Surely you wouldn't advise using an acid on a calcium based stone? Sodium hydroxide and clay is the same thing.

I know this is what they teach on the Aqua Mix tupperware course, but it's only to compensate for their products lacking any decent ingredients and relying too much on old tech and builders.

Sorry but in the 'real' restoration arena these dwelling practices and their results would get you sued more often than not. A large majority of our work is repairing these 'following the label' blunders.

HDT&G Cleaner mixed in the correct proportions does not have time or the strength to attack the clay properties of the tile and even if you poured it on neat 15 minutes would not be long enough for the properties to do any damage either. I can also promise you I am in the 'Real' arena of restoration.

tel

tel

F

frankenfurter

HDT&G Cleaner mixed in the correct proportions does not have time or the strength to attack the clay properties of the tile and even if you poured it on neat 15 minutes would not be long enough for the properties to do any damage either. I can also promise you I am in the 'Real' arena of restoration.

Terry, if you really believe that you are definitely misguided. Cleaning agents do not work by dwelling, bleaching agents do. It can be very easily proved that HDT&G and any other sodium hydroxide cleaner will bleach a clay tile, especially neat not to mention leave the surfactants soaked into the clay body.

Enduro I take it by the thanks given to terry that you are also a user of aquamix; stands to reason.

When I say 'real' I mean large projects, like manufacturing and re-laying 1000's of tiles, not kitchen floors or hallways.

I don't want to sound bitchy, but neither am I here to make friends. What you're advising is an incorrect method using nothing better than a diy product.

D

DHTiling

Terry, if you really believe that you are definitely misguided. Cleaning agents do not work by dwelling, bleaching agents do. It can be very easily proved that HDT&G and any other sodium hydroxide cleaner will bleach a clay tile, especially neat not to mention leave the surfactants soaked into the clay body.

Enduro I take it by the thanks given to terry that you are also a user of aquamix; stands to reason.

When I say 'real' I mean large projects, like manufacturing and re-laying 1000's of tiles, not kitchen floors or hallways.

I don't want to sound bitchy, but neither am I here to make friends. What you're advising is an incorrect method using nothing better than a diy product.

Thanks for the input..:thumbsup:

Can you explain what your method would be on the job please..?... then the members can learn ... the more advice the better ..

Reply to Cleaning Victorian Tile Path in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen