Discuss Cemfloor liquid screed with heating in the Tiling over Electric Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

F

Flintstone

I thought I would put this on as these screeds are becoming increasingly popular and there seems to be incorrect advice been given by the screeders. Pumped in, rapid drying cement based screed with underfloor heating which they claim you can tile on directly after 7 days and you don’t need to sand, well you do need to sand as there is clearly laitance on the surface, I used a diamond cup to sand this but it can be sanded using a course abrasive paper as it’s much softer than anhydrite in my experience. This was left 28 days before I tiled it, and the underfloor heating was commissioned correctly. I fitted durabase mat as there’s going to be some extreme temperatures in this room and with the screed being new. Here’s the job, at a listed 16th century old vicarage in Derbyshire.

First picture shows the screed when first poured and the curing agent they spray on top, second pictures show the laitance, then it after sanding.

23E66838-AE99-429A-90D5-7A7EFC6632B4.jpeg

94BBDB42-8482-4762-B98E-1C374F74DF92.jpeg 799340B9-5924-49DD-87B5-A58EEA201220.jpeg 6545C859-A3C9-429D-B73B-94F8E10EA606.jpeg F59D0D7F-57D9-4756-AC5A-7FB1D996F903.jpeg E45C0E23-C822-481D-9D7B-8AAC12E09EBD.jpeg A603373D-3B9A-45FF-91E1-F8BA10B845C5.jpeg 5C050DD4-AF45-4333-9D9C-D85883AC3076.jpeg 553EA1BB-CF8E-4470-B978-AE928994F8C5.jpeg 9D8CB267-CD1A-439D-BAC0-14CF658C5FC5.jpeg B9402408-1055-4122-85A4-819BE35D4FE6.jpeg B31F52AF-FFDD-484F-AA8C-0C12A9C8464A.jpeg 9BCBB271-FEF3-4DD2-B1DC-07D280299F22.jpeg 33C6C602-E974-4F77-8DE5-2B2149211DCA.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

LEE MAC

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
13,491 37
I thought I would put this on as these screeds are becoming increasingly popular and there seems to be incorrect advice been given by the screeders. Pumped in, rapid drying cement based screed with underfloor heating which they claim you can tile on directly after 7 days and you don’t need to sand, well you do need to sand as there is clearly laitance on the surface, I used a diamond cup to sand this but it can be sanded using a course abrasive paper as it’s much softer than anhydrite in my experience. This was left 28 days before I tiled it, and the underfloor heating was commissioned correctly. I fitted durabase mat as there’s going to be some extreme temperatures in this room and with the screed being new. Here’s the job, at a listed 16th century old vicarage in Derbyshire.

First picture shows the screed when first poured and the curing agent they spray on top, second pictures show the laitance, then it after sanding.

View attachment 98988

View attachment 98974 View attachment 98975 View attachment 98976 View attachment 98977 View attachment 98978 View attachment 98979 View attachment 98980 View attachment 98981 View attachment 98982 View attachment 98983 View attachment 98984 View attachment 98985 [ATTACH. .

LEE MAC

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
13,491 37
Lovely job Andy. I really like the bond in the set out, it really does the tile justice :thumbsup:

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reactions
861 6
Nice to see the screed treated with common sense rather than blind faith that the screeders was giving good advice. If he said it could be tiled after 7 days and it didn' need sanding he was talking bull...

F

Flintstone

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
@LEE MAC i am not sure of the name of it, was supplied by the customer. Spanish porcelain

TheAofT

TF
Arms
Reactions
36 1
What member type are you?
Professional Wall and Floor Tiler
Real beauty:clapping:...
Thanks for sharing a valuable info.

F

Flintstone

It was perfectly flat harry!

Balloo

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
130 2
I was supposed to start a 400m 1200x200 plank on 21st may on cem floor everything was good to go but botoment adhesive CO put a stop on the job said the floor needed 3week drying , and would need decoupling matt ,???? .
Its messed up my schedule really bad , but better safe than sorry I guess , ?

Balloo

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
130 2
Forgot to mention I was thinking of hiring a lawn roller to press down the matt because of how much there is , is this a good idea ?

F

Flintstone

Balloo, if the floor doesn’t have underfloor heating then you can tile it straight away if your fitting an ditra or dural.

LEE MAC

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
13,491 37
I was supposed to start a 400m 1200x200 plank on 21st may on cem floor everything was good to go but botoment adhesive CO put a stop on the job said the floor needed 3week drying , and would need decoupling matt ,???? .
Its messed up my schedule really bad , but better safe than sorry I guess , ?
Balloo I’ve used a lot of Botoment products and I’ve also met Fergal, they’re head of technical in Ireland. Imo they’re products are excellent and Fergal knows his stuff, trust what he says. I’ve done jobs that he’s speciefied that I was very sceptical about doing but I did and they're absolutely fine years later. They’re uncoupling membrane is also one of if not the best one I’ve used and in conjunction with their adhesive sticks exceptionally well, you only need to rub it in with a flat trowel and that’s more than good enough. You won’t need a roller.

Reactions
That's a really tidy job, plank effect tiles are becoming more popular and can see their appeal. Just wondering what you used to prime the floor and how many coats/how diluted it was? Have a new build job coming up and have a feeling will be a pumped screed with piped ufh. Use dilute SBR for everying now but always willing to try something better.

LEE MAC

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
13,491 37
That's a really tidy job, plank effect tiles are becoming more popular and can see their appeal. Just wondering what you used to prime the floor and how many coats/how diluted it was? Have a new build job coming up and have a feeling will be a pumped screed with piped ufh. Use dilute SBR for everying now but always willing to try something better.
ARDEX P 51 Primer - Concentrated Water-Based Primer & Bonding Agent - https://ardex.co.uk/product/ardex-p-51-primer/
You’ll struggle to beat this.

Balloo

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
130 2
Balloo I’ve used a lot of Botoment products and I’ve also met Fergal, they’re head of technical in Ireland. Imo they’re products are excellent and Fergal knows his stuff, trust what he says. I’ve done jobs that he’s speciefied that I was very sceptical about doing but I did and they're absolutely fine years later. They’re uncoupling membrane is also one of if not the best one I’ve used and in conjunction with their adhesive sticks exceptionally well, you only need to rub it in with a flat trowel and that’s more than good enough. You won’t need a roller.
Thanks lee mac
thanks lee mac , fergal has been out twice already and he definitely seems to know what he's talking about , one thing about M24 botament I find is it goes of very quickly so yo have to work very fast

Gerard

TF
Reactions
Good evening lads. Nice tidy job.good advice on the screed I've seen too many cowboy builders trying to tell me to tile it after a week and it doesn't need sanding .
I use to only use botament in ireland I've been living in England 2 years now and I can't source it anywhere I've even been onto the supplier in ireland and they won't send it over to me even though I'd be ordering a few pallets.
Have yous any advice on how I could get my hands on it I'm in west Sussex.

LEE MAC

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
13,491 37
Good evening lads. Nice tidy job.good advice on the screed I've seen too many cowboy builders trying to tell me to tile it after a week and it doesn't need sanding .
I use to only use botament in ireland I've been living in England 2 years now and I can't source it anywhere I've even been onto the supplier in ireland and they won't send it over to me even though I'd be ordering a few pallets.
Gerard I’m a big fan of Botament also, but I can tell you to try @ISOMAT UK it’s a fantastic range of adhesives. They’ll deliver whatever you want. I promise you won’t be disappointed.

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reactions
861 6
Find a local man and van delivery service and offer him a back load so when he takes something over to ireland he can bring you back some adhesive.

Reply to Cemfloor liquid screed with heating in the Tiling over Electric Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

UK Pro Tiling Training
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

New Threads (Sitewide)

TileFix Direct
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Top Bottom

Use TilersForums.com to find Tiling Jobs or your Local Tilers for free. Get tiling tools at the best prices via the forum.