Search the forum,

Discuss Can Anyone Offer Advice On A Rookie Mistake? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bcd-87

Hi there,

I used unibond a tub of unibond wall tile adhesive and grout with anti mould which the guy at the store assured me would be perfect for a smallish job........

In your last post you said you had porcelain tiles ? Providing the adhesive has the correct aditives in to adhere to the none pourus tile
Thanks for the thoughts.

Perhaps in my naievity i went to B&Q as ive bought many things from there over the years for various projects and theyve always turned out fine.

Ive tiled walls and floors in the past with stuff ive bought from B&Q, the walls i cant comment on the current status of as ive long since departed those properties, but i tiled the floor in my parents conservatory 8 years ago and thats still going strong.

I did make a mistake in my earlier post - the tiles are ceramic and not porcelain - does that make a difference?

Ive checked the tiles again just and they really do seem to be stuck firm. Im still in two minds about what to do but they do seem ok.

I have not yet grouted however, would you suggest i purchase an alternative product for this? And if so what?

Thanks again for your help.

Rob

Hi Rob

Yes not being porcelain makes a big difference this is positive mate

BAL do a product called miroband, it's aWhite grout very good in my opinion

This may do the trick but bare in mine grout is a binding agent not an adhesive.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Your tiles will just fall off in a sheet if you use good grout.

If you try to pull one off what happens?

And if you tap them with a coin do they sound hollow?

D

donwheelay

Hi guys ive tapped the tiles, some sound hollow and some dont.

Ive tried to pull a few off with a reasonable amount of force and theyre not budging.

I havent yet grouted between the tiles.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Mmmm, a few things....
Tile adhesive is made for fixing tiles,
Grout is made for grouting tiles,
So you wouldn't fix tiles with grout would you? for all that certain Co's manufacture 2 in 1 Adh/grout combo's
it's not a great idea.
Fixing porcelain tiles with this type of adhesive?
not a great idea either,however small the tiles may be. The adhesive should have had better 'grab'
qualities.
Can't understand why the shop didn't sell you separate adh and grout,unless your advice came from
Homebase,Wickes,B&Q,etc,etc

Perfectly acceptàble for a diy job and does not require priming as it relies on moisture loss to set, I used similàr adhesive to stick my bathroom tiles onto skimmed unprimed plasterboàrd walls 17 years ago. They are still there and I honestly wouldn't want the task of getting them off. Future reference prime and use bagged Addy as its easier to use. Comnbi Addy ànd grout has been about for years. It's diy stuff rather than what the pros would choose. Still does the job though.

O

On one

How is bagged adhesive easier to use for a Diyer?
I would have thought premixed tubbed adhesive would be easier.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
How is bagged adhesive easier to use for a Diyer?
I would have thought premixed tubbed adhesive would be easier.
Tubbed tends to be sticky and stiff to work with whereas correctly mixed bagged gear is muçh "creamier" and easier to spread. That's based on my own experience anyway.

O

On one

Tubbed tends to be sticky and stiff to work with whereas correctly mixed bagged gear is muçh "creamier" and easier to spread. That's based on my own experience anyway.
Your possibly using the wrong stuff,and been sitting on the shelf for far too long.
To give some Diyer's a bag of powder and a bucket of water sounds like a recipe for disaster(too runny,too stiff,dust all over the place,)

Reply to Can Anyone Offer Advice On A Rookie Mistake? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen