Discuss Can Anyone Help Get Me Started With Setting Out For Half-bond? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

Buzz365

I think I chose the worst flipping size tile I could have done… or is there a way? Darned if I can see it…

Tiles for the walls are 400mm L x 150 H to be laid horizontal, half-bond. Thought I would start by centring the window width and height and see how things would work. First issue, 3 tiles wide with 2mm spacers leaves slivers up each side of the window. Window size is 1190w x 1400h. The window is offset slightly. Window wall is 760w to the left, window 1190w, 730 to the right. I am I right in thinking you would normally centre the window? Or, will I have to settle with centring the wall? Will it look ok?

P

philrab66

I think I chose the worst flipping size tile I could have done… or is there a way? Darned if I can see it…

Tiles for the walls are 400mm L x 150 H to be laid horizontal, half-bond. Thought I would start by centring the window width and height and see how things would work. First issue, 3 tiles wide with 2mm spacers leaves slivers up each side of the window. Window size is 1190w x 1400h. The window is offset slightly. Window wall is 760w to the left, window 1190w, 730 to the right. I am I right in thinking you would normally centre the window? Or, will I have to settle with centring the wall? Will it look ok?

In reality you have to go with what looks best. Go over all your options even if you have to draw them all on the wall or you could make a story stick.

S

StevieBoy

Yes in theory you should always try to centre a window when setting out, however this is not always possible - especially if you have two windows on the same wall, like I had yesterday.

Some situations dictate the eventual set out, and I think in your situation you can only really split the wall. Then on the next wall, try to continue with a similar size off cut for each row so that it looks like you have continued that size of tile around the wall if you see what I mean.
Try and finish on the wall behind the door, and it will look fine.

B

Buzz365

Yes in theory you should always try to centre a window when setting out, however this is not always possible - especially if you have two windows on the same wall, like I had yesterday.

Some situations dictate the eventual set out, and I think in your situation you can only really split the wall. Then on the next wall, try to continue with a similar size off cut for each row so that it looks like you have continued that size of tile around the wall if you see what I mean.
Try and finish on the wall behind the door, and it will look fine.
I do see what you mean, but on the second wall if wrapping leaves a different width cut at the other end of the wall do you adjust for it (ie, centre the second wall) or stick to the tile length and continue running it round?

S

StevieBoy

As long as again it doesn't leave slithers, I would wrap around the next wall and so on because if you centred the second wall successfully without slithers, you wouldn't want say a 3/4 tile next to half tile or nearly a full tile next to a half etc.

Others may disagree, but that's how I'd do it.

O

Old Mod

It generally wraps around or thereabouts as long as it doesn't leave a ridiculous cut. Bit of a judgement call really.
But always start at window if the window is opposite the door.
Are these tiles ceramic?
Depending on your skill level you could introduce a method know as closers, effectively eliminating your 'slithers' around the window.
But it can be a difficult task depending on material!

B

Buzz365

Good point!... there's more to this half bond than I realized. Back to me number crunching.......

B

Buzz365

It generally wraps around or thereabouts as long as it doesn't leave a ridiculous cut. Bit of a judgement call really.
But always start at window if the window is opposite the door.
Are these tiles ceramic?
Depending on your skill level you could introduce a method know as closers, effectively eliminating your 'slithers' around the window.
But it can be a difficult task depending on material!
Um... closers... please tell me more? Never heard of that one. They are 8mm ceramic and the door is on the wall opposite to the window , but the door is in the right corner.

S

StevieBoy

Um... closers... please tell me more? Never heard of that one. They are 8mm ceramic and the door is on the wall opposite to the window , but the door is in the right corner.

Just check them to see if they are flat or bowed then, because if they are bowed they will look pants half bonded.

Closers is a new one on me too lol.

O

Old Mod

Spot on @JulianSidney!
Sick to back teeth of half bond yaaaaaaaawn!
Random is good!
As far as closers are concerned, before I go into the complications of it, take one tile and cut 10mm from the short edge.
Effectively making them 390mm long.
Then file it sand it, whatever u need to do to make your cut edge look like a factory finish.
If you can be bothered to do that, I will go into the long winded method of closers! That fair enough? :)

Reply to Can Anyone Help Get Me Started With Setting Out For Half-bond? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay