Search the forum,

Discuss Bringing a bathroom floor with UFH level in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

felixfe

Hi there - Lots of interesting stuff about leveling compounds here (as well as everything else) but I can't seem to find the answer to my particular problem and wonder if anyone could help -

Most of my house has engineered oak boards at a height of 18mm laid over a concrete slab with wet UFH. For the bathroom, which measures approx 6 m2, however, I am planning on using either rubber tiles or slate.

So there will be a discrepancy of about 15mm between the rest of the flooring and the bathroom.

Just wondered how you would deal with this - screed over the top of existing slab to bring it level? use a leveling compound at this depth? leave it be?

Thanks so much for all the help here!

M

mikethetile

I take it you dont have an oak floor in your bathroom or its being taken up

you can use slc to bring the level up

im not sure where your getting 15mm difference

F

felixfe

Thanks for the reply - this is a completely new floor, so at the moment there is a level screed across the whole floor (comprising living room, kitchen and bathroom). The oak will be layed on top of this everywhere except the bathroom (since I have been discouraged from using a wood flooring in there), which is why I am left with the 15mm difference. Thanks for the tip, I will investigate it!

M

mikethetile

I was wondering about the oak in the bathroom areas

are you having ufh under the oak too

there will be less than 15mm difference in floor heights and this can easily be taken up with slc

F

felixfe

hi mike - yes, the rest of the floor will be 16mm engineered oak with a 2mm thermal underlay - so a total height of 18mm. I don't think the rubber tiles I'm thinking of laying in the bathroom come to much more than 3mm in height which is where the discrepancy is coming from.

The difficulty is in selecting a material to make up the height which won't undermine the effectiveness of the UFH - ie, by acting as a thermal block, rather than absorbing and maintaining the heat. perhaps a levelling compound will do the trick

thanks for your help

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
ive not had much experience with wet ufh mostly mats,but wouldnt thermal insulation boards which are used for the electric mats be of any use to 1.raise your height and 2.keep and distribute the heat evenly,i would like to hear other tilers opinions on this

Reply to Bringing a bathroom floor with UFH level in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen