Search the forum,

Discuss Black granite tiles - grout gone light grey! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

smicol

Just had my kitchen floor tiled with 18" "star galaxy" granite floor tiles. The builder used 4mm spacers (which look a bit wide - is this normal for granite?) and "anthracite" coloured grout. The problem is, the grout has gone light grey and looks wrong. What could cause this & what (short of raking-out & re-grouting) can I do?

M

MICK the Tiler

Spacing of tiles varies it all depends on the quality of the tiles as far as size goes. Personally I like to keep granite at 1.5-2mm spacing for a classy look but 4mm would be considered acceptable.

The discolouring of the black grout is caused by using too much water whilst washing down the grout. Darker coloured grouts need to be washed off with a barely damp almost dry sponge to avoid bleaching or oxide stripping.

A quick fix would simply use a permanent felt tip marker in black run carefully down the grout lines.

Just remember like colouring in as a kid stay inside the lines LOL :lol::lol:

G

grumpygrouter

The grout spacing can be a function of the substrate you are tiling onto. if you have a timber floor, I personally would lay with a larger grout line than if it was on concrete to allow for movement.

As it was, I feel the builder should have discussed your requirements and views with you before commencing.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

The grouting going light grey-ish could be effloresecence.......what make of grout is it..?

V

vosnack

has anyone continued this thread as I've got similar problem with black granfix. It looks for me as effloresecense but how to tackle it now? Can I regrout on top of it as there is still some room for a millimetre of grout?

G

Gazzer

Cant you try recolouring with Tradetiler Universeal Grout Colour It works great.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rich

As above, dont try just grouting over the top, if it needs re grouting then the grout will need to be cut out first.

V

vosnack

Surprisingly the grout is still soft(ish). So I dug in with stanley knife and grouted a part of the floor to see results after it's dry. The owners say they like the grey colour anyway as it shows the tiles better :/

J

jay

Surprisingly the grout is still soft(ish). So I dug in with stanley knife and grouted a part of the floor to see results after it's dry. The owners say they like the grey colour anyway as it shows the tiles better :/

how long has the grout been in

Reply to Black granite tiles - grout gone light grey! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen