Discuss best way to prep walls taken back to breeze blocks for porc tiles. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

aflemi

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Doing bathroom with breeze block internal walls, sand and cement render then plaster skim. Unhappy with porc wall tile weight on plaster skim and in any case, lot of blown plaster so decided to remove the lot back to breeze block. Now wondering how best to prep walls, thinking dot'n'dab plasterboard then mechanically fix thru solid points. (Wet areas do same with marmox). Prompted me to think what would be the downside in skimming over with cement based tile adhesive then tiling straight onto that. I'm sure there's a very good reason and this is a stupid question but interested to learn what it is.......
Many thanks for responses.......

W

White Room

Stick with the dry wall, don't see the need to add fixings to the plasterboard....

aflemi

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Ok I understand the dot'n'dab. Just wondering, I'm sure I've used an Ardex quick setting cement based render product a few years ago over brickwork walls then tiled in several days. In my OP I wondered what the downside in skimming blockwork with cement based addy then tiling over?
Is it perhaps that any cracking/movement in the blockwork would transfer straight to the tiles because of insufficient absorbtion in the bonding/render coat?

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Ok I understand the dot'n'dab. Just wondering, I'm sure I've used an Ardex quick setting cement based render product a few years ago over brickwork walls then tiled in several days. In my OP I wondered what the downside in skimming blockwork with cement based addy then tiling over?
Is it perhaps that any cracking/movement in the blockwork would transfer straight to the tiles because of insufficient absorbtion in the bonding/render coat?

Time to dry, Cost and time to skim would be the downside.

W

White Room

It's getting a good flat surface to tile too with the addy, ruling it off would be an issue...

aflemi

TF
Arms
Reaction score
It's getting a good flat surface to tile too with the addy, ruling it off would be an issue...
Ok I know a lot harder to skim with than plaster but with rapidset it'd be ready to tile over next day easy. No structural reasons though it seems?

W

White Room

With dry wall tile next day and if any cracking occurs it won't show thru the boards, the trouble with troweling a thin coat of addy is that you follow the general shape of the walls which may not be that good.

Reply to best way to prep walls taken back to breeze blocks for porc tiles. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22