Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Beginners Guide To Tiling!... in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

E

emeluu

Evening all,

We have recently bought and I am planning on retiling our small bathroom with white metro tiles and plain white grout at a spacing of 2mm. Although there are threads on here covering beginners they are from years ago so wondered what the latest products you'd recommend are?

So starting from the beginning - some wall surface is currently covered in tiles which I'll strip off, but some wall has just been painted. This is a bit peeling now so I was going to sand it down in preparation. Is there any other preparation you'd advise - like a sealant or anything?

Then, is there a particular adhesive and grout that dries slowly for a newbie getting to grips with it?

Also as they are metro tiles the traditional cross spacers aren't ideal. I have seen straight ones on American blogs, but can't seem to find any to buy here - do they exist? Or would you say to cut down the cross ones?

Thanks in advance for any help - any tips will be gratefully received to this newbie! :)

E

emeluu

I'd go with grey grout on white metros.
Thank you, I had decided to go with white tiles as the bathroom is extremely small. I'd be worried that the room would feel a bit busy with the grey. Have you found that in your experience?

E

emeluu

What are the walls? Plaster or plasterboard or something else?
Hi Dan,
They are plaster - here is a pic of the peeling/falling off paint exposing the cracked plaster below. Do you think this could just be sealed then tiled onto? Or would you advise a replaster?
Thank you

IMG_4668.JPG

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score
You will have to take off all the loose plaster before tiling ,no good trying to patch it up tap it and i would imagine you will find it all loose with the looks of it on the pic

E

emeluu

You will have to take off all the loose plaster before tiling ,no good trying to patch it up tap it and i would imagine you will find it all loose with the looks of it on the pic
Thanks Brian - I'll get a quote on replastering the wall then after we've taken the existing tiles off

magga

TF
Reaction score
Thank you, I had decided to go with white tiles as the bathroom is extremely small. I'd be worried that the room would feel a bit busy with the grey. Have you found that in your experience?
Grey grout with white metros looks ten times better than white grout, in my opinion. You only need a very light grey, nothing too dark. Mapei Ultracolour plus silver grey or Tilemaster grout 3000 light grey.

R

Rookery

Remove the duff plaster, dry line then tank it. I'd suggest using Mapei P9 adhesive as its got a very long pot life. Mapei UCP grout is fine but it might be a bit quick for you.

E

emeluu

Grey grout with white metros looks ten times better than white grout, in my opinion. You only need a very light grey, nothing too dark. Mapei Ultracolour plus silver grey or Tilemaster grout 3000 light grey.
Thanks Magga - If you guys are suggesting it I may just go for it. It would give the tiles more definition as well. Thanks for the grout suggestions too

E

emeluu

Remove the duff plaster, dry line then tank it. I'd suggest using Mapei P9 adhesive as its got a very long pot life. Mapei UCP grout is fine but it might be a bit quick for you.
Thanks Rookery - very helpful. Is the Tilemaster grout any slower?

Reply to Beginners Guide To Tiling!... in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks