Search the forum,

Discuss Bathroom walls and floor and Granfix in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Z

zzr-matt

Its been a few years since I was last on here but I'm back as I have another bathroom to do :) This time I'm using 300 x 600 porcelain tiles. The local tile place is a Granfix stockist. They used to be Mapei so previously I used Primer G, Keraflex Maxi and Keraquick with latex additive. Whats Granfix like compared to Mapei?

This one has a selection of issues:
1. The walls are 75mm light weight blocks with a 10mm render with a 3mm skim on top. Unfortunately the skim is not stuck to the render and just comes away. The render (not sure if thats the correct name) is hard but feels a bit dusty to the touch. Much like if someone had just blown a load of building dust over it. Once I have scraped all the skim off I assume I can prime this and tile straight on?

2. I need to build a small section of stud wall in a shower enclosure. I was going for aquapanel onto the studs, tape the joints then tank the area before tiling. Does that sound ok?

3. The flooring is a mixture of P4 / P5 chipboard on joists at 450 centres. I was going to go over this with 12mm ply screwed to the joists and chipboard below but from what I have now read on here no more ply 6mm may be the way to go? Does this need to be glued and screwed?

Can anyone recommend the best Granfix adhesive to use for the above?

Z

zzr-matt

yup that kind of thing. Easy to cut with a hand saw. The render has a very strong bond to the blocks

W

White Room

This is my personal view on those blocks, they can move and the render should be a weak mix which why it may show signs of dusting if it's a strong mix of render it can crack with the blocks....either way I would trying to remove the render and dry wall for the tiling IMHO.

Z

zzr-matt

Im not sure if render is the correct term. It may well be browning?

To remove that will require some heavy sds action as its damn well bonded to the blocks. Im concerned that will destroy the integrity of the wall which wont be improved enough by a sheet of drywall?

No sign of cracking thus far at 30 years old if that makes a diff?

W

White Room

If it is browning which would have used for those kind of blocks and if you remove the finish you don't tile on top of gypsum undercoats primer or no primer also there are weight issues concerning gypsum plasters which is a max 20kg m2.

Your tiles are porcelain, how thick are they and do you have the means to check the weight of them.

Z

zzr-matt

Makes sense, I hadnt appreciated you cant tile onto the browning etc. The tiles are around 8mm thick.

Can i just board over the browning or have i got to strip it all off?

B

bugs183

Just stick to Mapei as you've always done, i know no reason for you to switch to Granfix, other than cost, and it's not worth swapping cost and quality to save a few quid.

W

White Room

Makes sense, I hadnt appreciated you cant tile onto the browning etc. The tiles are around 8mm thick.

Can i just board over the browning or have i got to strip it all off?

How many m2 are there if you had strip the plaster....

Reply to Bathroom walls and floor and Granfix in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen