Search the forum,

Discuss Bathroom installation tiling surface advice in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

IMF2000

Hi, firstly apologies if this is in the wrong forum and also sorry if I should have used the search function more!

I am in the process of arranging my bathroom to be refitted and am currently obtaining quotes for the installation work. I have obtained a quote for the bathroom items separately.

Probably looking at porcelain tiles, perhaps 30x30 or bigger as one fitter advised smaller would cost more.

The bathroom is small and there will be a shower over the bath (located in corner of room) with glass screen (no separate shower). The long wall that the bath sits next to is aprox 150mm block, with the other internal walls aprox 80mm studwork.

I am interested in general good advice with regards to how the tiling should be completed, for example, one fitter has suggested removing all the old plaster board walls and replacing with new to get a good finish (which seems like a good idea to me). Would it be worth using something like Marmox for this? What is typically done?

Also looking at floor insulation and tiled floors. Side of bath on two visible edges will be tiled, distributor spec'd marmox board for this.

I was put off by the idea of using metal trims as I have seen some example of these tarnish and corrode quite badly, but further investigation did not yield any real alternatives other than mitering the tiles or going with the plastic trims. I guess that if I can find plastic trims in a similar colour to the tiles, this may prove the nicest finish?

Genuinely interested so can aim for the right result. Sorry to be clueless! Just to be clear, I am not looking to DIY, just to be informed about what I should have done by the professionals.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Q

Qwerty

First off new plasterboard is advisable as cheap. Board then tank. It's cheaper and easier for you and most tradesmen to be fair.

Use marmox board or similar for the floor and build a stud frame under the bath to fit marmox to and tile. Marmox is always my personal choice but others use Jakkoboard, wedi, schluter etc

Any decent modern metal trim from the likes of schluter, genesis, homelux are aluminium and unless they are exposed to constant submersion or exposure to acids/ salts (ie in food prep area or near a urinal!) then they won't corrode.

Hope this helps. Are you selecting the tiler/ bathroom fitter or somebody else choosing them?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
As above your metal trim should be alright just make sure you keep on top of cleaning it. You can get stainless steel cleaner that gives it a nice shine.

I

IMF2000

Thanks for replies! Nice one, sounds like aluminium is the way to go re trims!

Not sure if my fitter intends to do it himself to be honest!

Reply to Bathroom installation tiling surface advice in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen