Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss BAL. APD or SBR on plywood in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

TREKKY

I've got myself in a tangle on this one so can someone set me straight on which is the best to use to prime ply wood, BAL APD or SBR. What is the difference between APD and SBR ? and where should each be used. I'm thinking APD on ply but my local tile shop says not ! I have about 10meters of porcelain tiles to lay on a chipboard floor and was planning to overlay with 12mm WBP ply, prime with APD, lay using BAL multiflex and grout with superflex wide joint grout (the joints will be 5mm). Any help and guidance you guys can give would be much appreciated.

C

ChaseTiling

Best thing to do is read the tub. Normally tells you on there. Any acrylic primer will do the job though.

All the best,

Chase Tiling Academy :)

D

DHTiling

hello trekky mate.......bal APD is an acrylic primer and bal bond SBR is a synthetic bonding agent and primer.....

APD is your primer for plaster and concrete and timber......

SBR is a bonding agent and be used in slurry coats and self levellers to aid in the adhesion process and can also be used as a primer on plaster and concrete and plywood..

APD is usually applied neat or ratio 1-1 where as SBR is watered to ratio 4-1 unless priming ply then you apply neat......hope this helps............dave...

M

McP77

Dave

It's beginning to make sense now. If APD and SBR can both be used as a primer for plaster and concrete is one any better than the other? Or is it just a case of personal choice/whatever you've got in the van?

D

DHTiling

well APD is soley a primer and nothing wrong with it whatsoever...

My personal preferance is bal bond because of its many uses...also it leaves the substrate slightly tacky and this gives an excellent grip for your adhesives......dave...

plus you can add it to your other products to enhance performance..i.e levellers etc....

T

TREKKY

Hello Dave..

Thanks for your reply, so what you are saying is you would't really don't bother with the APD cos it has limited applications, whereas the BAl bond will do the same job as a primer, just as good as the APD plus, it has other uses as well...!

Have I got that right ?

Trekky

D

DHTiling

APD is great as a primer..if all you use is primers....i just prefer SBR as i have a varied tiling program and require bal bond aswell..so use one product for all....dave..

J

Johnski

APD is great as a primer..if all you use is primers....i just prefer SBR as i have a varied tiling program and require bal bond aswell..so use one product for all....dave..
Can I use SBR neat on plywood floor and do I need to coat both sides or just the one being tiled

Reply to BAL. APD or SBR on plywood in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks