Discuss Aquaboard in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Luggsey

TF
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm installing a new shower in a stud work enclosure. I have 900x1200 sheets and looking at my shower which is 1000x1000 it seems sensible to fit the sheets long edge horizontal.
My questions are:
Do I need extra horizontal nogins where the boards are butted together horizontally? I don't see the need but thought I would ask? (I planned to join the board edges with no nails to give a firm waterproof joint.)
Also last time I did a shower cubicle like this I used both aquaboard and a tanking kit, two kits actually, do I need to tank when its aquaboard?
Thanks if you can advise.
Paul.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Is this Knauf Aquapanel?
If it is then it’s not necessary to add noggings as you should use their sealant between board joints and stagger the boards and tape them before tiling.
Aquapanel is not waterproof, only resistant so I would recommend tanking over the top this will give you a really good base to tile over.

But if it was me I would just use plasterboard and tank that, much cheaper and perfectly adequate in domestic showers with trays. IMHO.

Luggsey

TF
Reaction score
Is this Knauf Aquapanel?
If it is then it’s not necessary to add noggings as you should use their sealant between board joints and stagger the boards and tape them before tiling.
Aquapanel is not waterproof, only resistant so I would recommend tanking over the top this will give you a really good base to tile over.

But if it was me I would just use plasterboard and tank that, much cheaper and perfectly adequate in domestic showers with trays. IMHO.
I didn't know they had a special sealant so thank you for that. Sounds like I need to look at tanking kitsxagain, they were £50 each in 2010!
Cheers.

Reply to Aquaboard in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks