Discuss MR Plasterboard in shower in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I am in the process of building a couple of stud walls to create a shower cubicle. Built from 4"x2" studs they will be covered in backing board and tanked/waterproofed before tiling.

The third wall in the cubicle already exists and is constructed of MR plasterboard on 6" studs and then skimmed. Will this be adequate if it is tanked/waterproofed before tiling or should I be looking at removing the plasterboard in the shower area and replacing it with backing board. If so, any advice and creating the join between the two, especially as the studs are unlikely to be in the right place?

Many Thanks,

Andrew

Reaction score
Thanks. That will save a lot of work. Is there a tanking system that is generally recommended or would something like this Mapei Shower Waterproofing Kit - Screwfix - https://www.NoLinksToThis/p/mapei-shower-waterproofing-kit/78484 be sufficient? I guess I would need two packs since I have three walls to cover.

Last edited:

Reply to MR Plasterboard in shower in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks