Search the forum,

Discuss advise on tiling on top of quarry tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

rossy

hi, customer wants to tile her hall but pulled up carpet and got old quarry tiles a couple cracked but wants to tile over, is this ok to do or should i strongly advise to take up old tiles, any help would be great thanks rossy (newbie) but willing to learn.

G

GazTech

hi, customer wants to tile her hall but pulled up carpet and got old quarry tiles a couple cracked but wants to tile over, is this ok to do or should i strongly advise to take up old tiles, any help would be great thanks rossy (newbie) but willing to learn.
If possible Rossy,it is always advisable to remove old tiles prior to re-tiling. a- you need to know how well they are down,otherwise a weak tile under yours will undermine your job and b- checking out the original floor surface is advisable again for the same reason.Going back to basics on floors is always the best policy......Gaz

D

DHTiling

hi rossy.....

If a couple of tiles have cracked then this could be a sign of trouble ....

If the qaurry's are tightly butted together then expansion problems could be at fault..

Check to see if the tiles are debonded by tapping on them..if they have a hollow sound

when you tap them then they will be loose...... then it will be advisable to remove and

make good the floor. If they are in a solid condition then you will be able to tile over them.......dave..

M

McP77

Some quarries aren't really stuck to the floor. Try taking one up at the edge. You may find that the whole lot will just lift up when that one's out.

R

rossy

thanks for advise chaps think ill go back to basics on this one and recomend tiles come up cheers rossy..

Reply to advise on tiling on top of quarry tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen