Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Advice on tile size and materials. in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

tfasb21

DIY Tiler
Reaction score
Hello.

After some general advice for a DIYer for tiling a shower alcove.

Height is 2100mm to ceiling
Two side walls = 900mm width each.
Back wall = 780mm width

All stud walls.
Fixed to Stud walls is Wickes STS Tile Backing board (10mm thickness),

Best tile size and thickness to use ?
Is ceramic easiest tile to cut to size ?
Best general tile adhesive to use ?
Best general grout to use ?

Many thanks.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the forum. :)

Just a quick check, have you used the round/square washers when fixing your boards to the studs?
Also you will need to tape and tank over the joints and screws to make the area fully waterproof. :)

Tile size is really a personal preference, but I would be inclined to use a 600 x 300 myself.

Ceramic will be easier to cut than porcelain especially with a cutter aimed at the DIYer.

A good flexible cement based slow or standard setting adhesive would be best, avoid rapid setting you will possibly end up throwing more away than using.
You could use a premixed adhesive, but only on much smaller sized tiles and you would need to leave it to dry longer before grouting.

Again a good quality cement based flexible grout is essential, Screwfix sell Mapei products, or if you have a CTD or local tile supplies they should be able to recommend suitable products.

Any questions just ask, but take your time and enjoy it. :)

tfasb21

DIY Tiler
Reaction score
Many Thanks for your reply.

The boards were fixed by someone else. But I have checked and the round washers were used.
I will have a look for the tape and tanking > are there any recommended makes for these ?

Tile size of 600 x 300 I hadn't considered as I assumed they would be too big. The previous tiles were very old and were the small 20x20 square ones.
How can you determine if the tile is going to be too heavy ? I presume it depends on tile backer board as well as the adhesive used? So for my 10mm there would be a max limit on tile size I could use ?

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
600 x 300 are now a very common size, some guys on here are fitting thin porcelain in 8 x 4 sheets.
Your backer boards will hold around 50-60kg sqm so really most tiles will be fine.

O

Old Mod

I will have a look for the tape and tanking > are there any recommended makes for these?

Unless a PU adhesive was used to join the board edges together, all board joints, transitions, and mechanical fixings will need tanking.
Basically anywhere where there’s a break in the surface of the board.
Obviously the board is waterproof, holes are not 😊
The simplest way would be to apply a butyl self adhesive tape over them. (Rubber based sticky tape) or youcan use a paint on type.
Paint on the tanking paste, apply an alkali resistant tape over it and apply a second coat of tanking.
(Possibly a cheaper option)
This is your type of board with a butyl tape applied, it’ll show you what is required.

266EAC0B-8D92-41C3-95E3-C1888DB841E3.jpeg
753D7955-C93C-4390-BD4F-47C3220A610D.jpeg

Reply to Advice on tile size and materials. in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks