Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on fireproof tile adhesive in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

log_gatherer

Need some advice on fixing porcelain tiles behind a multi-fuel stove.

The tiles are going onto standard 'brown' plaster, done by a local plasterer, who's also going to do the tiling.

What adhesive do I need?

I've come across 'Vitcas' on web-searches - any good? Over the top?

What's good for this location.

The stove is a boiler stove to run my central heating, so the walls of the stove will never exceed 100C (or if they do I'm in big trouble...), but the stove will be on 12 out of 24 hours, all year except summer.

The tiles are 300x300 Cotto Granito, unpolished porcelain.

Not sure which grout to use either - I'd like a mid-brown to match the tiles.

Thanks In Advance

H

hillhead

I tiled behind a multi fuel stove a few months ago and used mapei keraquick,i asked the tile shop too what would be most suitable.For grout i use mapei ultracolour.No probs yet.

D

doug boardley

you'll be fine with that choice Joe:thumbsup:If you have the same availability Log Gatherer I'd recommend you get the same as Joe (Hillhead)

G

grumpygrouter

You may just want to check the weight of your tiles if going straight onto plaster. Max recommended safe weight for that substrate is 20kg/m2, including adhesive and grout.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

doug boardley

You may just want to check the weight of your tiles if going straight onot plaster. Max recommended safe weight for that substrate is 20kg/m2, including adhesive and grout.
with regards to "brown" plaster, I interpreted as sand/cement render, (hopefully with hydrated lime) but as Grumpy says, best check:thumbsup:

L

log_gatherer

Just checked - a pack of 11 300x300 weighs 15Kg - I reckon that's just about exactly 1 sq m, so I think with the adhesive and grout I'll be OK at 20 Kg per sq m.

Thanks guys!

:thumbsup:

L

log_gatherer

Yep I'll ask tomorrow - George just calls it 'broon' (Scots for brown to you sassenachs...)

:lol:

L

log_gatherer

Apparently it's brown Carlite onto brick, with a multifinish top layer.

Dunno what that means, but it's been up for about 3 weeks and seems thoroughly dry.

I've gently tapped around it to check for any hollow sounds (I've been reading the forums you see...) - and it all sounds rock solid.

Got the Keraquick and Supacolour today, and George is going to put up the tiles on Wednesday.

YeeHaaaa!!!

:hurray:

Reply to Advice on fireproof tile adhesive in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen