Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Advice on fireproof tile adhesive in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

L

log_gatherer

Need some advice on fixing porcelain tiles behind a multi-fuel stove.

The tiles are going onto standard 'brown' plaster, done by a local plasterer, who's also going to do the tiling.

What adhesive do I need?

I've come across 'Vitcas' on web-searches - any good? Over the top?

What's good for this location.

The stove is a boiler stove to run my central heating, so the walls of the stove will never exceed 100C (or if they do I'm in big trouble...), but the stove will be on 12 out of 24 hours, all year except summer.

The tiles are 300x300 Cotto Granito, unpolished porcelain.

Not sure which grout to use either - I'd like a mid-brown to match the tiles.

Thanks In Advance

H

hillhead

I tiled behind a multi fuel stove a few months ago and used mapei keraquick,i asked the tile shop too what would be most suitable.For grout i use mapei ultracolour.No probs yet.

D

doug boardley

you'll be fine with that choice Joe:thumbsup:If you have the same availability Log Gatherer I'd recommend you get the same as Joe (Hillhead)

G

grumpygrouter

You may just want to check the weight of your tiles if going straight onto plaster. Max recommended safe weight for that substrate is 20kg/m2, including adhesive and grout.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

doug boardley

You may just want to check the weight of your tiles if going straight onot plaster. Max recommended safe weight for that substrate is 20kg/m2, including adhesive and grout.
with regards to "brown" plaster, I interpreted as sand/cement render, (hopefully with hydrated lime) but as Grumpy says, best check:thumbsup:

L

log_gatherer

Just checked - a pack of 11 300x300 weighs 15Kg - I reckon that's just about exactly 1 sq m, so I think with the adhesive and grout I'll be OK at 20 Kg per sq m.

Thanks guys!

:thumbsup:

L

log_gatherer

Yep I'll ask tomorrow - George just calls it 'broon' (Scots for brown to you sassenachs...)

:lol:

L

log_gatherer

Apparently it's brown Carlite onto brick, with a multifinish top layer.

Dunno what that means, but it's been up for about 3 weeks and seems thoroughly dry.

I've gently tapped around it to check for any hollow sounds (I've been reading the forums you see...) - and it all sounds rock solid.

Got the Keraquick and Supacolour today, and George is going to put up the tiles on Wednesday.

YeeHaaaa!!!

:hurray:

D

doug boardley

it's the proper stuff to prime your plaster with Neil, you should be able to get it where you get your keraquick from, don't use PVA:yikes:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If the temperature at the back of your stove is going to be high enough to require a fire proof adhesive I am afraid your substrate is not suitable. Carlite Browning and multifinish are both made from Gypsum. This is a crystaline substance which uses water as part of the crystaline matrix. If this is subjected to sustained elevated temperatures the "water of crystalization" is driven off from the gypsum molecule and it begins to "dehydrate". This will initially manifest itself as localised cracking or crazing which will potentially cause your tiles to crack. Ultimately it will fall apart and your tiles will simply fall off.

When dealing with Gypsum based materials e.g. screeds with under floor heating the temperature should be maintained below 55 degrees Centigrade.

I suspect however that your wall is unlikley to get that hot and a fireproof adhesive is not really necessary.

L

log_gatherer

Well...

The stove has been on for about 6 hours now - the plaster behind it is not much more than comfortably warm. I can easily put my hand onto it and it just feels cosy. I guess around 28 - 32C.

The warmest part is around the place where the chimney pipe enters the wall, about 1200mm above the stove itself. Again, I can hold my hand on the wall and it's not uncomfortably hot. I'm going to put on a circular enameled steel 'rosette' to protect the plaster from over-heating.

Any particular brand of Primer G to get?

Thanks,

Neil

Reply to Advice on fireproof tile adhesive in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks