Search the forum,

Discuss Advice, losing faith in tiles.. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

WetSaw

What type of tile have you ordered? Porcelain would be by far the best choice.
I would also say that the cost of laying tiles will be more expensive than timber due to the preparation needed to the screed before you start laying tiles.

R

Richard Nessbert

Yeah, we ordered a Porcelain tile, they are a board shape approx 1m long and 20cm width. Made in Spain.. That's about all I know about them. The supplier said 100% suitable for UFH.

How can I ensure the tiler removes the laitance.. Honestly I've had 5 tilers here now and not one has mentioned sanding the floor.

Is the sanding somthing I could do?

F

Flintstone

As the others have said it sounds like the wrong adhesive has been used which is pretty bad if mapei have been and seen it and didn't make a point of that ? The laitance may have come off with the tiles either the first or second time, I would need to see some better photos of the surface of the screed to see that. There could also be contamination from the reaction between cement adhesive and gypsum floor. but either way if it is anhydrite it needs tiling idealy with a gypsum based adhesive. If none of the tilers have mentioned this sort of stuff then don't use them. Isn't @Adey1980 in your area ?

F

Flintstone

Just to add, sanding that screen now this far on will be a task it will be as immensely hard. I have sanded one recently that had been down years and even my diamond grinder barely touched it

R

Richard Nessbert

I'll try and lift more tiles tomorrow and take photos, it does seem that the adhesive has stuck solid to parts of the floor just not the hallway. Mapei came. Out about 6 years ago, I remember them saying that it was still a relative unkown and maybe concentrated to much on thr UFH rather than screen. I remember it was deff a Flexible Mapei Adhesive.

Reply to Advice, losing faith in tiles.. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen